LED lights?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My LFS was steering me away from LED lighting, saying they noticed that it started to bleach their coral. Has anyone else had this issue?

A lot of people have had issues with LED's bleaching their corals. It's like upgrading from a 150 watt to 400 watt MH without taking any measures to acclimate the corals. Your LFS obviously hasn't done any research on LED's and is behind the times in reef tank technology. Peppie is right in advising against taking advice from them in the future.

Imo, aptasia are more of a nuisance than anything else. Pretty hard to get rid of, but not impossible. I had a harder time getting rid of the majono i had than the few aptasia.

Imo, aptasia are more of a nuisance than anything else. Pretty hard to get rid of, but not impossible. I had a harder time getting rid of the majono i had than the few aptasia.

Uh?!? Did you post this in the wrong thread?

Nope...lol. was just responding to post #20...lol.

LOL! Missed that part of the thread. Not necessarily a topic change in this case but supporting evidence that the LFS might not be the best source for information.

Although, I tend to agree with the LFS in this case. As an experience reefkeeper I dont worry about aptasia in my tank. I keep them under control with my aptasia zapper and am basicly just too lazy to totaly eradicate the population. I have had, and probably will always have a few in my system.

To a newb reefkeeper I would recommend killing them quickly and take measures to keep them out of your tank if you dont have any already.

Might check out Reef Breeders LED for decently priced LED Lighting. I came across this site while going through Reef Central's sponser pages, and I'm seeing good reviews on them. I plan on picking up their Photon 24 for my 40B.

We have 2 local sponsors that sell pretty much the same fixture and you have a local warranty and support.

eric and rebecca seem to have a pretty good grasp on the leds.. I have had a few conversations with them about modding my current light.. I would give them a shot at OBD.

Given the right brand LEDs can make a great addition to a reef aquarium. Less energy consumption and less heat output.

there are lots to think about with LED's if your up to it a diy build can be the most rewarding. i did a actinic build and am so happy with the outcome and will replace with full led's when my ballasts go for the MH, hope this helps. there is a ton of experience on this website to take from. good luck

Back