LED question.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It is very similar to the evergrow d120. Twilight group also sells them but with timer built in. GEHL also sells them. I heard good stuff with the evergrow d120. So it should work....? Only way to find out is try them and report back to us. Ask them if they can throw 90 deg lenses for free.

Let us know. Good luck

I am not sold on the light yet so I have not orderd it yet if I do I will make sure to leave a full report on the lights. Tank they are for is not even in place yet so I am in no rush on the lights looking hard at all my options.

This is going to sound like self-promotion, and in a way it is, but I would pass on that LED. They don't use the aluminum finned heat sink and you are limited in spectrum. You want a light that has a variety of colored LEDs that meets the needs of your corals, fans, and a heat sink. Our light is the Evergrow D120 (looks nearly identical) and we have included everything I mentioned above plus 90 degree optics to increase PAR. You also get a warranty with a local business. Of course, when you add all the extras it costs a little more. $219.99. We have this light over one of our tanks if you want to come check it out in north Renton.

EverGrow D120 16" LED Custom Tuned by BRA - Barrier Reef Aquariums

Blue/White is so not fashionable now :D Plus if you go with LEDs you really should go with controllable fixtures. That's where real value of LEDs is!

I will have to find some time to come down and check out the led lights and get more info on them.

sorry not to highjack... But will two of these fixtures beable to replace 2 150watt Hqi and 4 T5's?

I have two 36's fixtures over my 48" tank.. and My bulbs are way way over due.. Im looking in to buying a new proper sized Hqi fixture... But it seems the more i look the more Led is being throw around...

The consumption is 120 but what is the total Output In lumens or wattage?

Highjack away the more questions the more answers the better understanding we will all have :rolleyes:

sorry not to highjack... But will two of these fixtures beable to replace 2 150watt Hqi and 4 T5's?

I have two 36's fixtures over my 48" tank.. and My bulbs are way way over due.. Im looking in to buying a new proper sized Hqi fixture... But it seems the more i look the more Led is being throw around...

The consumption is 120 but what is the total Output In lumens or wattage?

I'm not sure if you're asking about our D120 or the light first asked about. Our fixture uses 120w max and two of them are perfect for a 48" tank. Par numbers on this fixture are higher than 250 halides but not quite 400w at depths over 16". The RC forum has tons of reviews and par charts for this light with similar, but not identical, LED color choices. In our EverGrow category on the site we have 8 other options including units with programmable controllers and even more par.

Yea barrier , I bought em from you earlier , but screwed up the transaction ( well PayPal did) . I'm that guy lol ill reorder Sunday going with two of the d120's ill post up some pics later on after I get them all sorted

No problem:) I'm working on your refund right now. You'll love these lights. We have one on a 24x24x12 tank and the corals love it. Its a nice 12/14k with both channels at 100%. We dial the whites back a little to get closer to 20K.

These will be on a 75g aga tank, should be equal (or greater then) 2x150 hqi's and 4 39wt5's?

Again sorry about the mess with PayPal :) this time ill get it right

So I held off on buying a unit for my tank as I knew I would be getting a bigger tank. I am now looking at Led lights for my bigger tank 80 gallons, tank is 31x34x18. If anyone has recommendations on lights that would not break the bank or diy ideas please let me know. currently the tank is run with a 250w mh and 4vho t5. I have lps and some sps and want to add a clam or two in the future. All input welcome and thank you.

Ocean by Design sells a great pre or custom led setup system that's well priced. Contact them

M.I.A Don't worry I'll be found!

Fishguy, come check out our selection. We keep all these models in stock and can demo them for you. The prices you see on our website for these LEDs are the same prices you will find in our store in Renton. They start at 199.99.

EverGrow LED Custom Tuned by BRA - Barrier Reef Aquariums

Our NOVA A8 would be my choice though. One of those would do the whole tank and provide more than enough PAR!

Last edited:
I personally went with a setup from rapidled. If you're into the DIY i would highly recommend them. Very happy with it and the price was very good for what was in the kit.

Back