LED question.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

question for barrier. I was looking at the nova A8 as you recommended and see that the spread is 30x24 and the foot print of my tank is 34x30. So I was wondering if you can link more then one unit and control it from just one unit? If I got a controllable unit could I link it with the custom unit and control both from the controllable one?

dhnguyen: Its been a couple months on the setup you posted, how is it doing, still happy with the results?

110$ per two feet of tank is pretty hard to beat considering some of these setups have been asking more than twice that.

Yes I am still very happy with the light. The growth of my SPS is consistent with the MH I had previously.

A couple SPS did brown out but that may have had more to do with my tank maintenance than the light. At the same token, a couple SPS have also brightened up a lot more also.

question for barrier. I was looking at the nova A8 as you recommended and see that the spread is 30x24 and the foot print of my tank is 34x30. So I was wondering if you can link more then one unit and control it from just one unit? If I got a controllable unit could I link it with the custom unit and control both from the controllable one?

You will want a six puck or equivalent fixture. I had mike at oceans by design set me up with apex controlled mod for the single point control. They also can apply a typhoon controller to do the same. The Helios 180 easily covers plenty of PAR/PUR density for a 36x36x27 deep wide tank. My fixture is 15" above the tank and a sweet spot of running 75% grows more coral than I can keep trimmed 3x a year! Remember to start low to acclimate. Im currently waiting a pod for my frag grow out acclimation fuge.

Find my posts on the LED install and compare the coral growth throughout my picts. Proof is what you can see!

This is going to sound like self-promotion, and in a way it is, but I would pass on that LED. They don't use the aluminum finned heat sink and you are limited in spectrum. You want a light that has a variety of colored LEDs that meets the needs of your corals, fans, and a heat sink. Our light is the Evergrow D120 (looks nearly identical) and we have included everything I mentioned above plus 90 degree optics to increase PAR. You also get a warranty with a local business. Of course, when you add all the extras it costs a little more. $219.99. We have this light over one of our tanks if you want to come check it out in north Renton.

EverGrow D120 16" LED Custom Tuned by BRA - Barrier Reef Aquariums

I agree... While you can save some money up front by getting the LEDs you mentioned, the D120 evergrow would be better in the long run with different spectrums and local warranty as well. Only wish BRA sold these before I got mine in the beginning of 2012. Oh well, when I upgrade I'll just use my old LEDs for my frag tank. Decisions, decisions...

One can save several hundred dollars by doin it yourself, I did.
a lot of online how to's, and videos. And you get exactly what YOU want, not what someone else thinks you want/need for more money.

I have a pair of Evergro T2160, they are the programmable version. barrier reefs sell these too, they set up the light settings to about a different setting every hr of the day. I believe these have a retail price of 229 each.

Back