LED UFO light, cheap new led light for reefs???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skimmy

SKIM FU
check this out, and then lets discuss!!
http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/the-led-ufo-p-1372.html

im wondering how this might look on an aquarium, it has pink and blue led's in it, mabye in conjunction with some t5ho blue bulbs this would be good???

it mentiones being designed to only use light frequencies required for photosynthesis, i would think this would be an excellent means of growing corals!!! but the big thing is, how does the light look in a reef tank????

so who's got $600 to find out??:)

Wow, looks like a great light! But it is a factor of 10 too expensive for me :)

check this out, and then lets discuss!!
http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/the-led-ufo-p-1372.html

im wondering how this might look on an aquarium, it has pink and blue led's in it, mabye in conjunction with some t5ho blue bulbs this would be good???

it mentiones being designed to only use light frequencies required for photosynthesis, i would think this would be an excellent means of growing corals!!! but the big thing is, how does the light look in a reef tank????

so who's got $600 to find out??:)

New ideas are popping up everyday. The thing that worries me is that it states that it is for indoor use only. Now that''s a given. But is the leds able to handle saltwater or what.
$600.00 is in there with Mh lights but we know that metal Hals work...

I think that LED's are going to be used alot more as time goes on in this hobby and they improve in performance and drop in cost. I think its still a bit expensive for most to try unseen in this hobby currently, but its less expensive than the Solaris fixture.
My concerns about this fixture center around the spectrum, as I suspect its closer to 5500k in appeance than 10k, and the reliability over a salt water aquarium.

Nick

I agree with you totally. Solaris is a knock out of a fixture though. If we could say "it's only money" that would be great. :D
Your point about 5500k is well taken. Do you think this spec. would be good for corals. Another thought is, "Can we stand the color". I guess we could always suppliment with t-5's.
T.

Yeah, but for $600 you could buy a good T-5 set up with individual reflectors which uses alot less energy than MH's also...

The spectrum is doable, but ugly to most people as its very yellow.

The other question I have is the light intensity from this fixture...how deep will the light penetrate?

I have few LED flashlights and the light bar on my patrol car is made of LED's. The light is very bright, (can be seen for a very long way), but is very diffuse as well...so I guess thats more of a reflector issue than anything else...

Nick

Did you get a chance to check out their MH fixtures? Their fixtures show plug and play, but looking carefully that puts the light and ballast together. It would keep the heat above the AQ but again would look pretty bad.

well, with red and blue led's, i somehow doubt it would be yellow, they specifically said that they took out all the green frequencies by using certain led bulbs. im thinking it would look purple/pink if anything, which might be really cool in conjunction with blue + t5ho bulbs.
and from everything i've read, these have more light output than 400w m.h., more comparable to 600w m.h. bulbs.
i wonder if it's possible for them to make reef versions with blue and white bulbs??

Its probably possible, but if the demand is there they'll do it.

Didnt see the part about the green wavelengths being removed...and I didnt think about the color of the LED's not being yellow....

Dont forget, 90% of the current lighting in this hobby came from horticulture...

Nick

well when I have my red and blue LED's on over my tank it is definitely purple i color I think until we see the organic LED's being used in the 10 watt range thats when you will see this arena take on a completely new light (no pun intended)

Here is a few pics of what mine looks like as for penetration etc... I of course am running separate lights these are not a combined fixture since I use them only for accent lighting and waking the colors that I want to "pop" The anenome's and corals do respond to the blue more than anything. Skimmerwhisperer thanks for the post glad to see some new technology coming I am thinking about playing around with a few products of my own if I knew they would sell.

2407461448_9d61329613.jpg

2407461330_2809b8e4f5.jpg

2406630025_4dd81ed5d8.jpg

2406629697_79c072bba3.jpg

2407461660_bd12f1d743.jpg

this is an older pic but shows all of them on at the same time for fun....

2404428193_5c3d0ef8e2.jpg

Back