Led VS MH?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have been tagging along with talk of LEDs. Here is what I remember of talk from experts. LEDs are comparible to 250-close to 400 watt MH. The coverage again is not as good as MH.

LEDs- energy efficient, no need for chiller, bulb life- no need for replacement for 5 years plus.

cons- expensive, not proven in person to me how well they work for coral growth and color, coverage spotty,

MH- better reflectors allow lower watt bulbs to cover more area, proven to be producers of coral growth, experience has shown coverage.

MH- expensive replacement of bulbs, heat issues with most likely need of cooling devices,
Not energy efficient,

What else am I missing?

Plasma Arc- 280 watt bulb- price is coming down- 300 dollars from first time I looked at it. Coverage is really good. Does not put out as much heat as 400 MH. Bulb replacement rated at 5 years. compact unit. Used at Monterey Aquarium as model.

con- cost is still over 1035 dollars, Has not been on the market with aquarium use that long. I would prefer to see someone with this unit in person to see proven experience.

I am running 3x400W and now I will be switching over to 3x160W cree led panels, I have a full tank of sps, if you are interested I can post pictures and results on how the led will effect the growth of sps and lps. I know the intensity is more focused on leds, you need to turn it down and slowly acclaim it. I am a strong beliver on slow and steady wins the race, with good parameter and prestine water quality led will eventually take over.

Agreed, LED and Plasma will definitely be taking over. Most of Europe has already stopped producing any & all types of incandescent style bulbs/lamps and when China follows suit there will be very limited sources for MH lighting. I have been up to Justins to first-hand see his Plasma in action and it's a pretty sic, the actual lamp is only about the size of a jellybean with minimal heat and tons of crisp light output.

I'm just about to begin a fairly advanced LED lighting system with most components from rapidled.com plus steve'sleds.com this was to address a issue in mind on the very limited range of spectral value that most all of the commercial LED units have. Simplified I'm going to be using (3) different whites 6500K/8000K/10,000K, (3) different Blues 445/460/470nm peaks, Green 525nm, Red 625nm. My plan "A" is to have (6) front-to-back linear circuits on a controller for a East-to-West Solar Light Schedule and (1) circuit spread out over whole tank for a noon-day spike in PAR. I'll post a build thread in the DIY forum starting in a couple weeks.

Cheers, Todd

Back