Led ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

josh88

Is it cheaper to get a diy kit and fixture, And does it come with instructions, or is it cheaper just to buy it whole. Someone said order from China. But I've yet to see anything from China

HTC tapatalk

Some people have used AquStyleOnline for a cheap DIY LED kit. I would suggest upgrading the components over time like I am going to do.

What size tank are you trying to light?
What are you planning on keeping in the tank?
Have you ever done any soldering?

These will help with recommendations.

Also, if you are handy with DIY, then maybe my build can help you.

Its way cheaper to do DIY than buy ready made ones. You can also customize your color and intensity. Some people like the clean look of ready made ones. Its really up to you.

Last edited:
If you want cheap LED lights go onto ebay and search for LED coral. I bought 3 lights from there for way cheaper than DYI or buying commerical. They put out a ton of light and havven't had any problems so far. I figure for the price its hard to go wrong.

Seattlereef, please define a ton of light? specs for the light please? and PAR readings?
Thanks.

Not sure of PAR nor do I have a reader. However it doess pull 120W has 30 3W white led's, 25 3W blue led's. So far I've been happy but I've only have mushrooms and an elephant skin coral. Once my tank is a bit more established I'll put in some SPS's and I'll see how they fair.

If you want cheap LED lights go onto ebay and search for LED coral. I bought 3 lights from there for way cheaper than DYI or buying commerical. They put out a ton of light and havven't had any problems so far. I figure for the price its hard to go wrong.

Which ones did you buy?

@ eww nothing yet. But I've been looking at the diy kits. Researching the parts they come with. The reason they come with it. And the process of putting it all together. Seems a little easier then I expected. I Have some soldering experience. I replaced the lights in my buddys dash in his rabbit with all led lighting.

HTC tapatalk

Yeah that's the TaoTronics I was looking at. How do you like it. I was talkin with some on about it. And we figured the led was .5 watts each

HTC tapatalk

Just my 2 cents here.

Not all LEDs are created equal. Unless you have seen PAR readings on one, then everything can be a gamble.
Check the LUMENs at least and not how many WATTs it creates. So you know at least how efficient one compared to another.

Bottomline, we all want the same thing, that is a happy coral and a healthy hobby.

True not all leds are created equal. But from what ive read online. 3w is the minimum for coral. That they produce the proper par and lum's And k. But if you say they are not created equal. Then a 225 .5w led would achieve the same as 26 3w leds on a 30 gal tank such as mine. I obviously need some more clearing up. Maybe anyone can point me to a thread or website that better explains par lumens and Kelvin. And the importance of all of them

HTC tapatalk

The statement about 225*1/2w leds having the same power as 26*3w is not accurate. The 10mm LEDs have .3mA forward current, to where the 3w forward current in 1050mA (typically ran at 700mA). The three watt LEDs produce more lumens which means that it will have far better driving force through the water column. The 1/2w LEDs no matter how many you have will only have a small portion of that power and your lucky to get anything 6 inches from the surface of the water. Now this would be in a perfect column of water with nothing in the column as far as color or anything else that may block the light getting to the bottom. The minute you put organics into the water then you loose even more pentration power with both LED's the 1/2w or the 3w.

Here is my build thread : http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f13/built-145-gallon-custom-acrylic-build-62239/

The pictures in the thread is with me running only one light. I bought 3 to cover my tank. I probally could have gotten away with 2 but decided to get an extra light. I was running only 1 to keep the algae under control during the inital cycle. I'm now running all 3. I've been keeping mushroom and a elephant skin coral for about a month with no problems. I bought 9 new corals at the Bob Moore event last weekend and I have then aclimating at the bottom of my tank. They appear to be doing well I'll have an update to my thread in the next couple of days.

New Corals
1) SPS Strawberry Shortcake
2) SPS Purple Birdsnest
3) SPS Green Slimer
4) SPS some greeen one... will need to get an ID later
5) A Zoa Not sure of exact species
6) Frogspawn
7) 2 Green Hammers
8) 1 Torch/Frogspwan (can't tell exactly)

I just ordered a dimmable Cree kit from rapid led. Ill let you know how it goes, but IMO it was the best option. Everybody has different needs and likes different looks. Haven't got into any of the crazy daylight simulations some of these guys have going on here yet.

Back