LED's and coral?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1w led might not be a bad idea for smaller tanks. i used 12 3w leds for my bio cube and now i am down to only 5 with outstanding acro growth. only prob with 5 leds is that you dont get perfectly even light coverage. if i had to do it again i might have gone with with 15 1watt or like 3 3watt and 6 1 watt as i have two drivers for a dusk and dawn cycle.

i'm using 9*1w,18*1w,27*1w and 36*1w led bar light,use for my small fish tank,and use 55*3w ,48*3w for more bigger fish tank for corals reef growing,i think that very nice.

You say small fish tank. But the only thing I've seen 1W led lights used on are 5 and 10 gallon tanks. Even then they still had at the minimum for the 10 gal 100 leds. And it was literately placed right above the tank. With maybe 1/4 an inch gap between the tank and light.

HTC tapatalk

Hello Matt, last talk LEDs, I just finished building my hood with 45 LEDs 6500K whites and Royal blues from cree. they look great but guess what, I just spoke to an expert on these LEDs and he tells me that they do not admit UV at all. that means your corals will turn brown because the algae inside of them has no need to use their internal sunscreen. in Australia when the tide goes out all of these corals or exposed to high levels of UV they admit a sunscreen to protect them and the algae inside of them that's where the color comes from. I don't know what LEDs you plan on using but I don't know of any LED company that's using UV in them. you need to check on this because if you're using as many LEDs you said you're going to use your corals will turn brown within 5 to 7 weeks I'm hoping that someone who really knows this can come on this form and tell us a little more than what I know. the person I spoke to last night was pretty up-to-date on this and everything he said made sense LEDs no UV that's not good please get back with me.Phil :laser:

@oceanreef
Ok so ? Do you know of a site that explains why we need certain parts for diy fixtures, and what parts we do need. I want 12 led for my nano tank. But I want to stimulate morning, noon, dusk, and night....suggestions

HTC EVO tapatalk

Good morning as far as simulating morning noon dusk and night there is a system out there that you can use. I havethis particular system. but there's a problem I don't think I'm supposed to recommend a company that sells this product on this site? If you send me your e-mail address I will e-mail the company to you and you can tell him what you need. My e-mail is [email protected] ,Phil

Why not design a system with the dusk/dawn functions built in. Get yourself a good "Tank Controller" and build your system to interface with that controller.

Also I can't imagine using 1W LED unless you're only using them for moonlight or dusk/dawn simulation. I'm running 12 3W Cree on my 12g Nanocube and have been for a couple of years now.

There's a long thread about it over at Reef Sanctuary (same user name) but it's totally DIY. Made from scratch long before we had the luxury of companies that have "Kits" to go by.

My RSM130D has a new LED kit by ModularLED that is controlled by my GHL ProfiLux tank system. Both of which are top notch products.

Back