LEDs to replace halides?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

luke33 has a friend who tested these with a par meter and apparantly they were pretty good...
also, rumor has it they will be releasing a fixture with 2 watt LED's in the $250-$300 price range very soon as well.
the maxspect fixtures are really tempting too.
by this summer we'll have several less expensive, powerful alternatives to what's out there now.

If you don't mind the lack of infinite adjustment then the Maxspect are much less expensive. You can individually control the different LED banks (30W whites, 3W whites, and 3W blues) and that is good enough for me. I just purchased two 160W units for my new tank and the light is incredible!

These pacific sun units seem pretty cool but honestly I'm not really sure if the substantial cost increase is worth it over other units. For example the Aqua illuminations LED fixtures which are offered through cherry corals run 649ea. Having seen this unit in person I'm not sure I could justify %50 additional cost per fixture for the ability to have a cloud cover/ programmable light patterns.

Tom

No we will not offer warranty service at our shop. My understanding is that Pacific Sun USA does the warranty servicing here in the US for the Polish Manufacturer. For those interested I will look into group buy requirements. Rather than discuss group buys in this thread I would rather discuss it through PM or in a new thread in our vendor forum where I can control the direction of the thread. This thread should be left to disucss the original question of LED's vs Metal Halide. Anyone intersted in group buy pricing just PM or start a thread in the Barrier Reef forum.

wow... $895 for a 90w array??? waaay too rich for my blood...
and IMO, totally not worth the price.
I'm with workaholic, I think the AI led is a better deal to be sure, and is highly controlable without using your computer. and the AI looks cooler...
also, were right on the verge of china getting into the game with pro units as well, so I know we'll have lots of fixtures to choose from if we wait a couple months.

ya im not going to spend 1000 on leds you can build them cheeper with cree leds but woun have the nice case and you can still dimm them

AI - one modular unit 24 led bulbs - $624
PS - 160W (avg of master/slave) 54 led bulbs - $1,100

These pacific sun units seem pretty cool but honestly I'm not really sure if the substantial cost increase is worth it over other units. For example the Aqua illuminations LED fixtures which are offered through cherry corals run 649ea. Having seen this unit in person I'm not sure I could justify %50 additional cost per fixture for the ability to have a cloud cover/ programmable light patterns.

Tom

luke33 has a friend who tested these with a par meter and apparantly they were pretty good...
also, rumor has it they will be releasing a fixture with 2 watt LED's in the $250-$300 price range very soon as well.
the maxspect fixtures are really tempting too.
by this summer we'll have several less expensive, powerful alternatives to what's out there now.

cool thanks i have been debating back and for whether i should spend the money on the AI, PS, or the ones on amazon

Does anyone know what LEDs the Do-It-Yourselfers are using?

Most often its CRE XRE series LED's. There is a really nice write up on the whole thing on nanoreefs I read a good portion of it when I was thinking about building my own array before I came to the conclusion that I would have to know how to fix the darn thing if I built it.

Tom

my new leds will be here next friday i got the maxpect one will post pics when i get it

my new leds will be here next friday i got the maxpect one will post pics when i get it

I already have 2 PacSun units on order, however I would like to look at the Maxspect units for...well..fun really. I can't find the English version of the site though. Do you have a link?

I think you will be very happy with the Maxspect! Which one did you get? Here are my 160w on my empty tank on floor. More info about this on my build link.

Here are my Pacific Sun LEDS over my 180 Gallon 72x24x24

I have the BT Python 120W, 1 master and 2 slaves.

Light rack is all built, I still have to paint it, but I couldnt stand not seeing what my tank looks like with my Pacific Sun LEDS! These are killer!!!!!!

Sorry for the pictures, I need to figure out my custom white balance.

All of the pictures were taken at 100% Power

FTS 13K
DSC_2138%20%28Medium%29.JPG

FTS 15K
DSC_2134%20%28Medium%29.JPG

FTS 17K
DSC_2135%20%28Medium%29.JPG

FTS 20K
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_c9hnpb2CPcw/S8u-XToh9WI/AAAAAAAAAKM/A2CKg2qD2xk/s800/DSC_2136 (Medium).JPG

FTS 23K
DSC_2137%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Back