LEDs to replace halides?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yep we are bringing these in. I am ordering a display unit later this week to put over the NEO Nano Clam Tank. We can special order these for the same price you see at Pacific Sun. Cough cough...support your LFS:D In response to an earlier question about why nobody is marketing LED's as the sole lighting for Aquariums its because this would make their product a Patent infringement. The easiest way around the Patent is to sell it as a hydropnic or generic light. We also have the AquaIlluminations units available through our website. I think these Pacific Sun units are better, especially with their control flexibility. I'm definately not an LED expert yet. Just my impression after seeing the Pacific Sun and AI and doing a little reading.

have you got your led light yet?

If we were to replace our 3 400W metal halide bulbs on our 300 gal aqurium, what LED system(s) would we need? Our aquarium is 8' long with three openings on top and the depth is 24 or 29". Would I seriously have to buy three different units? I'm trying to figure out the cost.

If we were to replace our 3 400W metal halide bulbs on our 300 gal aqurium, what LED system(s) would we need? Our aquarium is 8' long with three openings on top and the depth is 24 or 29". Would I seriously have to buy three different units? I'm trying to figure out the cost.

I also have a 8' tank and I am planning on just going with 3 units. I am currently only using 3 MH and my understanding is the spread of the LED is the comparable to the MH. I do not have rock work or high light demanding coral in the last 6-8" of either end of my tank, so I think this is going to work just fine for my situation.

I think you would need 4 fixture to cover your 8 foot tank.
We only have 3 24" openings on the top of the tank though. So would I need three 24" fixtures, two 48" fixtures, etc?

If someone could point me to what I'd need to get specifically that would be great. My mind is shot right now...

We only have 3 24" openings on the top of the tank though. So would I need three 24" fixtures, two 48" fixtures, etc?

If someone could point me to what I'd need to get specifically that would be great. My mind is shot right now...

Its going to depend on what your looking for in your lighting Brandy IMO. Let's say you went with Pacific Sun, you may be able to get away with a 160W Cree Master and 2 Slaves.

I personally have the 120W Master and 2 slaves for my 180 which is 6ft long

Wow, so for three units we'ld be looking at 3200 to 3600. Sometimes the cost of this hobby is nuts.

Wow, so for three units we'ld be looking at 3200 to 3600. Sometimes the cost of this hobby is nuts.

I know and I thought the price of halides was high when I bought them. But at least the LEDs will save money on electricity and no bulb replacement every year!

Follow the link below to our different Pacific Sun LED options that use 3w CREE bulbs. For tanks 24"+ tall use one 160W fixture for every 24"-30" of length. For shallower and smaller tanks use the 75W IO unit for every 24" of length. We also sell the Aqua Illuminations units but they are more focused and lack some of the control options out of the box. We expect to start carrying even more products from varying LED manufacturers soon.

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=394

Follow the link below to our different Pacific Sun LED options that use 3w CREE bulbs. For tanks 24"+ tall use one 160W fixture for every 24"-30" of length. For shallower and smaller tanks use the 75W IO unit for every 24" of length. We also sell the Aqua Illuminations units but they are more focused and lack some of the control options out of the box. We expect to start carrying even more products from varying LED manufacturers soon.

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=394

Thanks for the link Cy. Even after my fairly in depth conversation with Dolphinlvr at the psas meeting today about these fixtures I still cant quite justify spending $1800 on lighting for my tank (2 of the 75w fixtures for my 3' tank). Yes they are cool, yes they are the best out there and will do everything you could ever wish for. but honestly thats enough money to replace all the equipment on my entire system and even a good portion of the corals.

Tom

Back