LEDs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

scottmdebord

i have been thinking of doing a nano agine and i want to go with leds but i cant seem to find a web site with the info im looking for.

If you tell us what info you are looking for it will help some one to help you faster

Something I just posted on another thread that I thought woould be good here also

Hey All, I just recieved some great news to share for those that would like to make the switch to LED's without the expense of changing out fixtures. I requested some LED T5's to be produced for me some while ago and finally today was sent pics of the proto-type lamps. These LED T5's go right into any std T5 fixture that has an electronic ballast/driver and use less than half the power of thier fluorescent counterparts while producing more light. At first I'll probably only get 24" & 48" lamps in 12K, 15-18K & 460nm, the prototype lamp just produced is a 12K.
I have already shown a few people a 24" LED T8 10w 8K lamp that I was sent and shows great promise to what the LED T5 lamps should do. I'll keep everyone posted and hope to have a handfull to give out for Beta Testing sometime soon (crossing fingers). I also hope to have in hand some Par 20&30 LED lamps in 460nm and a 15-18K mixed blue & white.

Todd

Congratulations Todd
Sounds like an excellent idea as many already own ballasts, why pay for a whole new setup when all you need are the bulbs!!!!

Might have to buy a T-5 setup somewhere for beta testing your new T-L bulbs:>)

Thanks Mike, as an Old Salt still using VHO's this is quite the proverbial leap forward for me. I picked up a 4-bulb 24" Tek fixture to test these LED's in that I plan on changing out/upgrading to dimable drivers so in utilizing ones own controller (DA, Neptune etc..) you could ramp up & down intensity for a very natural dawn/dusk effect. Which means I'll actually have to take another leap forward and purchase a controller now.
The light output from the 10w T8 is so impressive I can't wait to see what the T5's in a quality fixture with ICR's will look like.

Todd

Dang we have 36" bulbs in our set up so I guess we are out for the beta test :(. Sounds very cool though Todd and I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Todd your tank looked good with the VHO it should look ausome with the LED's on top of it.

Thanks, and will be really nice if I can drop from 440w of VHO +30w NO to a more reasonable 120-140w of dimable LED's. My VHO's are due to be replaced in Nov/Dec so am really hopeful that I'll have the LED's by then.

Dang we have 36" bulbs in our set up so I guess we are out for the beta test :(. Sounds very cool though Todd and I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Hey Eric, oh well 2nd generation are always better anyway.:razz:

Todd

Back