Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
below is letter from Lee Birch.
Please let me know ASAP,
Thanks,
Ed:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Ed.

Other than a time when I was an LFS for marine life, I have made it a goal to not receive any money, gain, or items in trade for the hobby. This includes travel, room, and/or board compensation for presentations/lectures, as well as any compensation for the presentation. Hence I don't travel for lectures.

If I lived in Seattle, I would of course be happy to visit and present something, without any costs to your group.

I do travel around the country on behalf of my 'real job.' I don't know when your group usually meets, however I will be available these two days, since I am planning to travel to Seattle then drive to Vancouver for a business meeting:

Saturday, October 20, 2007
Saturday, October 27, 2007

I will be in Seattle those two afternoons through the following morning before I either drive off or fly off. I'm staying at the Marriott hotel at the Seattle Airport both of those nights. I could/would drive to your meeting place for an afternoon presentation or early evening presentation.

If either of those dates work for you, then that is all I can offer for this year.

No no meds for three weeks and it's been difficult. I still have the drain in my side; hoping to remove next Monday and get back to life.

Get Well Soon Lady..

The good thing is, I am pretty sure you will be on here.
The bad thing is, We miss you.
Get Well Soon please!

Lee made the option for us. He has not replied. Lets cross our fingers and see what happens. It would be a nice surprise for PSAS. It would be a gift. He sounds really cool not wanting anything but just to enjoy the hobby. That is awesome!
cross your fingers,

Ok, Lee replied with a Yes! Someone upstairs is watching us!
Here is information he needs from email below.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 20th is fine. I need:
Start Time (anytime after 2 p.m. is fine)
Place
Directions from Airport
Length of presentation
Subject of presentation
Projection screen everyone can comfortably see
Computer/laptop projector
My voice can handle up to about 40 people. Beyond that, I'll need a microphone and speaker.

LEE[/QUOTE]

I asked Lee what he was comfortable with in a pm. I asked him if he would mind going to Poulsbo. I asked him what presentation he thought was most popular. I asked him to make a time by himself how long he wants to talk. I told him we want him to be comfortable and we know this is a gift. I said we want him to come back.
I will let you know what he says.
Ed

Here is Lee's Reply. He sounds Awesome. Any help would be appreciated.
Ed
------------------------------------------------------------
Ed,

If I'm reading the map correctly, there are very few bridges connecting Seattle across the Sound with the land to the west. How does one get over there? via Interstate 5? I will meet with you wherever you think you can get the best turnout. If that is Poulsbo then that is okay.

It seems to be a bit of a challenge to get there. I'm up for it. Any idea how long it would take to get to the Poulsbo meeting from the Seattle Airport?

Without knowing what your group is interested in, I can present on fish nutrition if you like. It is somewhat interesting, informative and something that can be practicably applied by everyone in very short time. It seems to be of the most value to audiences.

How many people usually turn up to a meeting?

LEE

Ed,

Right now we don't know who will sponsor or where it is going to be. Mario PM'ed me about some big idea he wants to go over with me..... I just don't have the time to talk to him before 530pm...If anyone else wants to, thats ok with me...

I talked to Mario on phone today.
Mario has been talking to Chris Brightwell of Brightwell Aquatics. Mario wants to see if Lee and Chris can do a meeting at same time? That would be up to Lee, etc. Mario said Chris could do a trip on Chris's cost as a write off. I do not know if Chris would do that or not.
Mario and Chris Brightwell wanted all the clubs to get together. I told Mario we usually like to charge a fee for guest speakers. Mario asked how much? I said its usually to recover cost of speaker or money we put out. I told Mario raffles usually bring in money for clubs.
We pay for Conference rooms for speakers, travel, motel rooms, speaker fees.
So do you guys want me to see if we can do both speakers, which would be free as far as travel and motel rooms?
Ed

NO, No dual speakers. what topics does Chris Brightwell speak about?? what is Mario talking about "all the clubs to get together"....what other clubs?? Our meetings are strictly MEMBERS ONLY, the only exceptions are the Picnic and summer events. If someone comes and is not a member, they will need to buy a membership to get in. if Mario doesn't want to host Lee Birch, we will find another sponsor...

I'd let Mario go ahead and do the Chris thing but not the same month. If we were booked then we could think about doubles. I'd just tell Mario to arrange it, and if he wants it over there he needs to find a venue we can afford.

Am i awake yet? :)

Mario was trying to get Chris Brightwell here in January. Chris has a book out and is a chemist that started his own company.

Eric from Sharkreef saw email from me. I posted in wrong forum. That was a big mistake on my behalf. Eric wondered what was going on.
Honesty is the best policy I thought. I told him we had a new guest speaker that was available at that time. He said if Mario does not work out to contact him.
I wanted some input on this please. I told Mario to call you guys about him doing two meetings.

He called me; I said no two speakers in one month per Randy.

Since the speaker is adamant that he wants to meet other members; I said I thought we could work something out for a one time only flat fee if they are card carrying members of a nearby club. I do not expect anyone to come, I believe he doesn't understand how far in miles are clubs are apart. I told Mario to firm up the date and let us know so we can advertise.

Also he wants to sponsor Lee Burch, which we don't need a sponsor as Lee won't cost anything. We'd be better off sponsoring on an expensive meeting.

If i remember correctly a full sponsor pays half the fees. Well if Lee is free we don't need a sponsor.

Randy will have to handle all this.

Mario was working on getting a room in Poulsbo for October 20th.

Lee replied to my email today. He said he did not care and would be here on October 20th. I like this Lee Birch. I am looking forward to meeting him.

Randy can you please give me a recap on Meeting in October. When we talked you were going to talk to Mario. I have been so busy I could not remember the outcome of that, if you did or not?
thanks in Advance,
Ed

Back