Lee Goldmans theory of Coral growth.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I am trying to get ahold of Lee Goldman. I thought he would be a good speaker for PSAS. The little I read sounded really interesting. His theory how corals compete for food and sometimes grow faster competing to survive.
Have any of you ever read his stuff and what are your thoughts of corals competition to survive?

Here is a part of his writings below
---------------------------------------------------

The second experiment examined the interaction between fragments of Acropora pulchra and Porites cylindrica cultured together. It has generally been accepted, based on years of anecdotal observations and a few published scientific papers, that physical interaction between corals will usually have a negative effect on growth rates for both species. This experiment was designed, however, employing two species of corals that use overtopping as a competitive mechanism. Because growth rate is an important function of successfully overtopping a neighbor, I hypothesized that growth rates would be maximized in the presence of a competitor. Even the most seasoned coral grower may surprise by these results!

thanks in Advance,
Ed Hahn

Last edited:
Thanks Boomer,
I hate that Guam word. I wish he was local (US).

I do find his readings interesting. I am wanting to see his presentation.

Boomer, you are so cool!

Lee pmed me last night. Thank you again Boomer. He has his ticket already for a planned trip to US. That ticket did not have time for Washington State. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope he travels this way and lets us know. Boomer, I still want to get you to Washington State also.:)

I went to his lecture at MACNA last year. It was really cool (the best one of the whole conference, imo).

Cool, you got ahold of him:) Some day I may make it there.

I sure hope so. :)

quote from sihaya

I went to his lecture at MACNA last year. It was really cool (the best one of the whole conference, imo).

He replied saying he would contact me the next time he was in US and loved Washington State. That is short of letter. I only hope it works out. I love hearing peoples input of guest speakers. Thank you Sara:)

Meanwhile I want to check out getting more corals to try this for myself. I want to find more articles from him. I begged him for more.

Interesting theory. That type of experiment would seem to be problematic. The distinct difference between coral existence/survival in the wild in comparison to the a/our controlled environments contains elements beyond what would be presumed to occur naturally. Interesting hypothesis however, yet I doubt our reef tanks could benefit from such a study and or outcome, unless of course we are simply in search of a greater understanding of coral growth/habits. Nonetheless there are species of Catfish that undergo that same physiological growth as surmised in that study which allow them to 'outgrow' the competing fish population for the same food supply so I don't see why that same theory could not be applied to corals. Just my 2 cents...

Lee says he will try to make this happen, next time he is in US.

:DOk, heard from Lee again. The communication is clear and very exciting for me. He says possibly early 2008. He will keep communicating when time allows. Lee I wish you had a book. I welcome the chance as well as others. People going to his lecture, I bet you will not regret it. I am jealous and wish I was. I will keep talking to BOD of PSAS and Lee and hopefully this will work out.:) Again, keep your fingers crossed.:)

Back