Lenes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ok i will prolly do that, im going to get the macro lens that sid put the link to it here. and if it doesent work then i will go trade it in for a D90. where are these camera shops? and whats the good cannon camera. the XSI rebel or something like that. my buddy just got the XSi or the basic model and he really likes it, its a nice camera but its a big louder than the Nikon's IMO. i think that Nikon is the quietest and smoothest camera out there lol.

ok Sid thanks i will look in to that. how much is it? they ship correct? lol

i cant find where they rent equipment from one call? also they have an open box sony a700. ive heard sony is one of the better camera camera makers. since they took over minolta which was a good company. from what ive heard

Ty,

Glazers in Downtown Seattle rents camera equitpment. Also Kenmore camera is in Kenmore and Glazers is in Downtown Seattle.

Personally I would stay away from Sony as they are relatively new to the DSLR market. Of course I for one never buy open box or refubs as I want to be the first person to use the item.

And my personal opinion with Canon is that I find there cameras over saturate the colors and make things as they are not. The Nikons I find a a warmer neutral feel with the color balance. Of course there are other opinions too. *lol*

Open box = Someone didn't like it or possibly some other issue (no warranty card, manual, box, who knows ?). *lol*

true lol, im looking at a Nikon D90 for 1,999 with 3 lenses and its brand new from a guy i know who wholesales cameras back east in NY. lol so i might have to take him up on that offer. its has a macro wide angle and a normal 55-300 or something like that lol.

im going to go rent a macro lens and see what my camera will do for me lol. then if im not to happy with it then its off to order a new camera lol.

Sony's are NOT bad IMO there are up there with nikon and canon! If i had the cheddar i would purchase the Sony A700!

true lol, im looking at a Nikon D90 for 1,999 with 3 lenses and its brand new from a guy i know who wholesales cameras back east in NY. lol so i might have to take him up on that offer. its has a macro wide angle and a normal 55-300 or something like that lol.

Just make sure it isn't what they call a grey market camera otherwise you will have no warranty with Nikon.

no its still in the box and straight from Nikon's warehouses. he kinda works for Nikon lol. but yes i wll check out the a700 and see whats up with them and how they compare.

Sony's are NOT bad IMO there are up there with nikon and canon! If i had the cheddar i would purchase the Sony A700!

I never said Bad, just New to the Market for DSLR. I personally like Sony stuff but for professional grade cameras and the $$$ these things command I go with the companies who have made cameras their business, Nikon, Canon, and Fuji to just name a few.

And if sony took over where Minolta left off well... Minoltas were good entry level cameras, let's just put it thant way. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

As spllbnd2 said, Sony is more of an entry level DSLR, newer to the market, and not yet had time to prove itself. When I was shopping for my first DSLR, I looked at the Sony Alpha line. They differ from most other DSLRs, in that they offer Image Stabilization, or Vibration Reduction, through the body of the camera. This is an advantage, in some ways. Other DSLRs offer IS or VR lenses, at a higher price. However, with IS or VR in the lens, it's much more effective than in the body. So, a Canon, with an IS lens, or a Nikon, with a VR lens, is going to offer much better results than a Sony.

Canon and Nikon have also been making lenses much longer than Sony, even though Sony took over Minolta. Canon and Nikon have had much more experience making lenses that are more compatible with the digital world. Lenses are as important, if not more so, than the body.

I passed on the Sony and had narrowed it down to Canon or Nikon, when I found a great deal on a used Canon, on Craigslist.

Also, as mentioned, dpreview. They're an awesome site for getting honest camera equipment reviews. Another good one is http://www.fredmiranda.com/

The reason i would get it becuz my brother has all the lense's other then macro for sony cam's, so it would only make sense for me but if i had a choice and i can throw money all over the place it would be nikon! Sony's camera's are not crap look at my pic shot's tookin with sony alpha.....

thanks for all the great info guys. its down to a sony or a nikon. im thinking either a D90 or the A700. whats a great macro lens for the nikon and for the sony?

Check out Ken Rockwells site. He has a wealth of information too.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/

As for a great lens for the Nikon, What is your price point? Do you want to spend $350 or would you like pro level at $1,500 or maybe something inbetween? *lol* It all depends on what you want in a lens, what mm and what features such as VR, AF, etc, etc...

Nikkor lenses
These only fit Nikon cameras

AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D (No VR) $480
AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED (has Vibration Reduction in the lens) $845
AF Micro-NIKKOR 200mm f/4D IF-ED (Must be mounted on tripod) $1,775

Sigma Lenses (http://www.sigmaphoto.com)
These you can get to fit either Sony or Nikon as well as various other brand cameras

MACRO 50mm F2.8 EX DG $420
MACRO 70mm F2.8 EX DG $670
MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG $640
APO MACRO 180mm F3.5 EX DG IF HSM (Must be mounted on tripod) $1,250
APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM (Only fits Nikon, Canon and 4/3rds) $940

There are 2 very large macro lenses here that you would not only need the camera on a tripod but the lens on a tripod as well.

Back