Leopard wrasse trouble

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

giermo

I recently put a leopard wrasse in my aquarium. For the first 2 days it was out and about looking at the rocks for food and, accepted some frozen plankton. Though now he has been hiding in the gravel for a week now. He is still alive, because i can see it moving thru the sand sometimes. What can i do to get him out of the sand, and swimming around. HE seems very healthy and active, when re-burying in the sand which is about 2 inches thick.

Thanks to all who respond

Maybe he likes it in the sand?? Maybe he's 'diggin it' in your tank? Sometimes our little critters don't do what we think they should do. If he "seems" healthy maybe he is...

Not a good indicator

Hi Giermo I am by no means a Leopard master but I have been successfully keeping 2 schools of Leopards in my 2 tanks just over 2 years. When I was stocking my tank for the first time I had some do this as well the outcome was never a positive one. I am surprised it feed on some frozen plankton so fast :confused:
How big is your tank and what Else do you have in it?
Specify do you have any more wrasses in this tank?
I hope she will resurface, How long was she?

I recently put a leopard wrasse in my aquarium. For the first 2 days it was out and about looking at the rocks for food and, accepted some frozen plankton. Though now he has been hiding in the gravel for a week now. He is still alive, because i can see it moving thru the sand sometimes. What can i do to get him out of the sand, and swimming around. HE seems very healthy and active, when re-burying in the sand which is about 2 inches thick.

Thanks to all who respond

in all my experiences personally and in the stores i've worked at leopard wrasses are notorious hiders....atleast for awhile. at home it usually takes them 1-3(sometimes longer) weeks to adjust to your "time". the internal clocks on leopards are really good......they run on their own "time". half the time we get them in i forget we have them at the store, because they hide all the time. i wouldnt be too concerned about the behavior at this point. just make sure that he isnt getting picked on when he does come out..............also you might need to try some live foods to entice him to feed. all in all they usually do pretty well..............just need to be patient with them for a few weeks.

OK yeah maybe its just coming out at the night or something, not that i have seen though, and it isn't being bullied much by the other inhabitants when it was swimming around. Well no more than any new addition would be, and after a day the hostility stopped. The fish was about 2.5 --> 3 inches so not small but not rather large anyhow.

i didnt mean to imply he would only come out at night..........but they certainly march to the beat of their own drum. after about 4-6 weeks the one i had in my tank was out all the time, before that he would only come out a few hours a day. if you have a reef tank with lots 'o 'pods i wouldnt worry at all...........i'm sure he'll come around. however, all that being said it might not be a bad idea to let the store that you bought him from know about your reservations with this specimen(just in case). good luck man..........

No go on coming out at the night

Giermo they are day only fish as soon as your lights go off no more than 20 min they hit the sand 2 1/2-3" is surely a Juvenal female. How big is your tank? How old is it ? Do you have any pods in it? What kind of live stock is currently in this tank?

OK yeah maybe its just coming out at the night or something, not that i have seen though, and it isn't being bullied much by the other inhabitants when it was swimming around. Well no more than any new addition would be, and after a day the hostility stopped. The fish was about 2.5 --> 3 inches so not small but not rather large anyhow.

i am currently looking to upgrade my tank right now, but you will laugh when i tell u what it is set up as.
1 have a long 20gal, with a 75gal canister filter, been up for about 6 months now, have 1 tomato clown, 1 referee damsel, 1 coral beauty, 1 diamond backed goby. All of the fish are very young and therefore small.I am looking to get a god deal on a larger rectangular aquarium, but can't seem to find any used ones yet, that would be a good deal. i have a 65 gal hexagonal aquarium set up for 1.5weeks now that i put my water change water in, and some live rock so that i might transfer my set up too. Any ideas. As for pods i have seen 2 bugs that look like the patato bugs that can be found in rotten wood etc, but otherwise i have no idea. Is there anything that can be done to increase the population of pods.

i am currently looking to upgrade my tank right now, but you will laugh when i tell u what it is set up as.
1 have a long 20gal, with a 75gal canister filter, been up for about 6 months now, have 1 tomato clown, 1 referee damsel, 1 coral beauty, 1 diamond backed goby. All of the fish are very young and therefore small.I am looking to get a god deal on a larger rectangular aquarium, but can't seem to find any used ones yet, that would be a good deal. i have a 65 gal hexagonal aquarium set up for 1.5weeks now that i put my water change water in, and some live rock so that i might transfer my set up too. Any ideas. As for pods i have seen 2 bugs that look like the patato bugs that can be found in rotten wood etc, but otherwise i have no idea. Is there anything that can be done to increase the population of pods.

You can add a refugium (most likely hang-on in the case of your 20L) and look into Ocean Pods. Essential Live Feeds is a sponsor here who sells live pods that can be added to your tank or refugium. Hope the wrasse is still hanging in there.

Back