Leopard Wrasse

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steven11

Somethingotherthannormal!
I was hoping to get some insight on these fish. I recently purchased a male/female pair of them. As far as I have read, to keep these fish long term, I ultimately need to get them eating some kind of flake or pellet food. They are currently accepting frozen brine and mysid shrimp. I have seen them "nip" at the flakes, but they are not crazey for them yet. Is there anything that i am missing for good long term results?

Some system info - I have a 75 gal reef with a little over 100lbs of mature live rock. I have a 20 gal long sump with a bunch of cheato.

Thanks in advance!

try soaking the flakes in garlic juice. brine is relatively empty nutritionally, but some soaking up some of the juice in the flakes may also help

One of the problems with common names is the mix-up of species. A few of Macropharyngodon sp. are called this common name.

They are generally, all strict carnivores. They prefer whole foods. If the fish are small, then plankton. If the fish is a little larger, try krill. If the fish are larger still, then whole (live) feeder shrimp (e.g., Penaeus vannamei). Mysis/mysids may be used for a short time (not the best, nutritionally for long-term feeding). Blood worms may tempt them. Refer to this post for carnivore whole food suggestions:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=294728#post294728

Feeding a carnivore that hunts its foods on flake and pellet (usually containing wheat products) won't extend their captive life if it is long-term life you are trying to achieve. :(

They are usually best introduced and kept in groups of no less than 3.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info Lee. So this is what i pulled out of your whole marine foods section."Whole clams, krill, plankton, mysis shrimp, hermit crabs (the only useful purpose for these reef terrorists ), raw anchovies, and marine feeder fish are all ‘whole’ seafoods". I am hoping that i can find a good mix for my whole tank. The fish inhabitants are 6 chromis, 3 red fire fish, a bicolor blenny, a lavendar tang, two clown fish, two leopard wrasses, a cherub angel and a mandarin goby. I also have two cleaner shrimp, a pistol shrimp, and a small coral banded that has a yellow chest. As well as a sebae anenome. I know that there isnt a one size fits all but i would like to prepare a mix that would keep every one fat and happy. Any advice for this? Like taking a few of the whole foods and "blending" them together then freezing the mix.

You have a mix of carnivores, omnivores, and herbivores. :D It makes it a challenge for one single food.

However, most carnivores will accept some plant protein, but they will need the special foods already listed. That's because your carnivores are 'hunters' and 'predators' by nature and are 'looking for' those crustaceans.

The others (omnivores and herbivores) can share a similar diet, providing you put macro algae into the aquarium daily for them. The mix would be those whole foods mentioned, plus Spirulina and powdered kelp. A bit of squid is good and about 10% of the mix could be marine scallops (meat only).

Thanks for taking the time to look at the referenced post. I know it's long and somewhat boring. :(

Yes. There is a lot of cross competition in that aquarium. The Mandarin may come up short on the stick. They are not known for 'holding their own' against more assertive fishes. The Mandarin will favor very small prey. The Wrasses will tackle (usually) larger prey. But in a pinch, anything goes.

If the Mandarin was trained in QT to eat other foods, or if it has adapted to eating other foods, it should do well if it is given spot feedings.

I'm always concerned about obligate pod eaters in captive care. There are all sorts of formula for success (# lbs LR/fish, etc.) but the picture is larger than this. If you remember way back when the aquarium was aging:|, any particular pod population grows and diminishes as other pods take over. Then have a pod like the Mysid, a carnivore (eats other pods) AND cannibal, and you can see how pod populations wax and wane in numbers and kinds.

Our aquariums are not diverse enough to provide the wide range of pods for these kinds of fishes. The aquarium may have pods, but not the diversity these fishes find in the wild. So even if there are ample quantity of pods, the fish slowly starves to death from improper nutrition of having a single pod being fed specific aquarium microbial foods. This is a 'narrow food chain' rather than a proper 'food web.' The concern is all bypassed by training such fishes to eat prepared foods. :)

In the case of the Mandarin, the 'unfortunate fish' just looks so attractive. (AND, they're easy for the collector to catch!) :)

I hear what you are saying and this fear is what brought up my original question. My plan to combat this subject "Our aquariums are not diverse enough to provide the wide range of pods for these kinds of fishes." is to swap out my micro algeas in my fuge with other aquarist on hopefuly a monthly basis. I am also pondering setting up a very large fuge. All in all its going to take some work to keep these guys healthy, not alive but healthy. Just needing some advice along the way. Which Lee, i think you have been very helpful. Thanks!

These guys are now comfortable enough to allow my hand to be in the tank.

Lee - Is there any prepared foods that you would recomend to go along with the whole foods that were stated befor?

Prepared and frozen foods marked for "Predators" or for "Carnivores" can be used up to about 25% of the diet. They include such things as frozen clam, squid, shrimp, mussel, scallop meat, etc.

If i start to feed them whole clams, is this going to teach them to eat my maxima or dersa clams.

Just bumping the thread for a friend.

For an update on my fish. I still have both of my wrasses and they are doing great as well as the mandarin. The wrasses will even steal algea from the tangs.

Mine are finally coming out. After 3 days and moving that powder tang to the 125. They are awsome fish and would like to get a few more :eek:. Your correct steven they come out and go back under like clock work :(. Trying to change the food up. There only eating sKrimp. LOL

Back