Let's See Some Zoos!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I mean the shadow frame around the pic. I know it's done through PS, just not sure how. I have done it before...accidentally...lol.

Oh,, that.

I tried doing frames in PS once and couldn't even do that right, so I bought a program called idframer.:)

Well, heres my first shot with Zoas. Took a few different shots.

GreenZoas.jpg

gozoas.jpg

pinkzoas.jpg

rgzoas.jpg

Tyler, amazing shots!!! Gotta love those Goochsters!! Did you pick those up from Tony?

Oh,, that.

I tried doing frames in PS once and couldn't even do that right, so I bought a program called idframer.

Ahhh I see. Like I said, I accidentally did it in PS once, but don't remember how...lol. Getting ready to buy a PS book though, hoping to learn it better.

Ya, all those came from Tony!
WOW!! Hey, how do you get that 3D effect? I need to learn more about Photoshop...lol.
The best way to create a "drop shadow" in PS is to open the photo. Shrink photo to the size you want it. Then go to canvas size and increase your canvas by 1/4 in. Once that is done, grab the Marquee tool and drag over just the photo. After that, go to your layers palate and click on the "fx" icon at the bottom left. Select the drop shadow from that and you should be set.

Michael I have a PS book I could let you borrow. Let me know.

I mean the shadow frame around the pic. I know it's done through PS, just not sure how. I have done it before...accidentally...lol.

Hey Michael and Marty!

Well fellas, there are a few ways to do this...but this is a great way to get the drop shadow and/or bevel effect.

1. Choose you file and open in Photoshop. go to Image>canvas size and make the canvas a bit bigger...say OK...you will see the background appear larger, image stays the same size. The background of the new canvas size will be the color you chose in the Canvas Size window.

2. Take your magic wand tool and click it on the color background...you will see a marquee that appears because you have selected the single color edges. Go to your layer palette and double click on the background layer, this will unlock the layer, say OK to the pop-up window. Once the layer is unlocked, delete the background and you will see a checkerboard background around your original image. Go to Select>deselect and marquee will go away. You can then move the image up and to the left a bit to leae more room for the shadow if it dialed in at 120 degrees (see screen shot attached)

3. Go to Layer>layer style and see the window...select drop shadow and play around...I have attached a few screen shots for reference. You can also go to Layers>bevel and emboss and play around there until you get something you like...see screenshot.

4. Save image as a .png file. This will give you an image with a show/bevel/emboss that does not have a background associated with it. Hence, you can add this to any other image and the shadow acts as transparent (see thru). You can also save it as a .psd but you can not attach this on the RF site.

Play around with the settings in layer style and have fun...

Any questions feel free to PM me. I have been doing Photoshop for 15+ years and there are many ways to do this effect. I'm sure 5 people will tell you 5 different ways, but hopefully you can follow this method. It is easy once you get the hang of it and you can actually create a script or droplet for this which will do batch processing. I could go on but there you go guys...

BTW, this is a picture of my Chocolate Lab GUS having fun in the snow

001-2.jpg

006-4.jpg

Not the best photos still trying to figure out how to do the setting on the new camera to make it shoot good pics. Top zoa was picked up from indoor and the bottom one I finally talked Lonzo to sell it from Aqua paradise and they are attached to a live scallop.

pretty !!! do u guys mind listing the names i'm always fascinated with the names of Zoos. those rings of firer are WOW.

Back