Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NVTE, I really like the third zoas.

Thanks

here is one of my Paly

AS Paly
Orange.jpg

Magicians on steroids!

I got these from Totally Exotic Corals of Oregon. I don't know if they have a true name in coral pedia. He calls them Darth Vaders and Green Implosions. The green implosions are amazing. They look like magicians on steroids!:D Has anyone seen these?

DSC05985ARW.jpg

Looks like they are magicians to me. The skirts do seem a little longer and pointier than normal magicians I've seen, but that's probably because of the lighting and conditions they were kept under.

Looks like they are magicians to me. The skirts do seem a little longer and pointier than normal magicians I've seen, but that's probably because of the lighting and conditions they were kept under.

They look a lot like magicians I agree but they are about twice the size of the magicians I have so I really don't think they are the same.

My magicians are huge! Almost the size of my grandis palys. Once again, that can all change because of lighting and conditions. Zoas/palys always seem to grow larger in my tank. Even my true Purple Hornets are almost 1/2" wide per polyp!

My magicians are huge! Almost the size of my grandis palys. Once again, that can all change because of lighting and conditions. Zoas/palys always seem to grow larger in my tank. Even my true Purple Hornets are almost 1/2" wide per polyp!

I agree it's amazing how the colors can change depending on lighting. Do you have any pictures of your purple hornets? What is your secret! As far as zoas for me, the bigger the better!:D

Zoanthids change colors and size because of differences in their environment, and that's where they come up with the clever term "morph". So I am saying that you could very well have a Magician "similar morph". I've seen some so called "magicians" that have more or less spots on them as well.

Zoanthids change colors and size because of differences in their environment, and that's where they come up with the clever term "morph". So I am saying that you could very well have a Magician "similar morph". I've seen some so called "magicians" that have more or less spots on them as well.

I agree I have seen the colors vary but have not seen the size vary much in different tanks. I mentioned lighting because that's the most obvious change for example my nuclear greens are much more vibrant moved down in the tank. It's also interesting how the oregon mummy eye is orange under higher lighting and changes back to the fluorescent green when moved down lower in the tank. You have any pictures of the extra large purple hornets?

I don't have any real current pictures, and my girlfriend took the camera to work Here's one that's a little older, they have grown lots since then. No real secrets to my tank, just trial and error. I've been an acid zoa collector for quite some time, and learned that they all act different. Some like lower light, while some get the best colors and size at the very top getting blasted with light. Some seem to do better in more/less flow as well. I have also learned that all palythoas (that I have had) will always eat small meaty foods, while true zoanthids will not. Magicians and candy apple reds love to eat!
16588_20100904041036.JPG

I agree I have seen the colors vary but have not seen the size vary much in different tanks. I mentioned lighting because that's the most obvious change for example my nuclear greens are much more vibrant moved down in the tank. It's also interesting how the oregon mummy eye is orange under higher lighting and changes back to the fluorescent green when moved down lower in the tank. You have any pictures of the extra large purple hornets?

Just put up a picture that shows the hornets, but that was a very old pic. There are 8+ polyps on that rock now, and they are all much larger. Will try to get more pics tonight or tomorrow when I have my camera.

Nice, thanks. I love purple hornets but the candy apple reds I have are one of my favorites. I target feed my zoas every other day and agree it makes the candy apples grow fast! The people eaters I have also take up the food very well.

Nice, thanks. I love purple hornets but the candy apple reds I have are one of my favorites. I target feed my zoas every other day and agree it makes the candy apples grow fast! The people eaters I have also take up the food very well.

Candy apple reds are definately one of my all time favorites too! The one in that picture is 5+polyps now. (5 really large polyps and a couple babies started)

Candy apple reds are definately one of my all time favorites too! The one in that picture is 5+polyps now. (5 really large polyps and a couple babies started)

Here's a picture of mine right after we fragged them. They grow like crazy for me and I love them!

DSC05687ARW.jpg

I agree it's amazing how the colors can change depending on lighting. Do you have any pictures of your purple hornets? What is your secret! As far as zoas for me, the bigger the better!:D

Here's a couple pics I took this morning.
Notice the size of the hornets compared to the candy apples and magicians. Even my rastas are pretty big!
DSCN3689.jpg

DSCN3688.jpg

Wow, those purple hornets are amazing!:) Mine are about half the size! Very sweet! I wish I knew what your secret is. As far as zoas and palys, for me bigger is almost always better!:)

Thanks for the pictures!

Nice topdown pictures too! Do you use an aquariscope?

Last edited:
Back