Lets Talk about salt mixes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jgraeff

Jgraeff
I want to know what the differences other reefers have experienced with different salts. If one is really better than another and which one you would suggest and why. I am currently using oceanic because it is pretty cheap and doesn't really require buffering as much and is quick dissolving, however i use to be able to get red sea coral pro salt and i also liked that very much.

I have always used Tropic Marin Pro and never had to dose. My parameters keep fairly stable and I have been using TMP for a while now. Hope that helps. There are websites that provide specific values in each salt mix. The only thing I don't like about TMP is it is typically expensive....

Well...... I use Instant Ocean and I have for 30 years now. I don't seem to have a problem with it but i do run a calcium reactor and add amino acids.

Ok, thanks for the link, i have heard TMP is a great salt and per gallon its not actually too much more expensive. Have any of you had any bad experiences with any types of salt?

The only bad experiances I have read about have almost universally been attributed to mixing and matching of salt mixes...(IE going from IO to Red Sea etc...)

Best advice I could give anyone regarding ASW mixes is to pick one you can get consistantly, and stick with it. Corals and other inverts seem to have a difficult time adapting to the variations between mixes...

Nick

Ok, ya i guess that makes sense, i can get oceanic pretty cheap my LFS buys in bulk from then the 120g bags which are for them and sells to us for like 30 bucks so cant really beat that. Il stick with that since i have had no issues and it seems to mix up just fine to me.

I have always used Tropic Marin Pro and never had to dose. My parameters keep fairly stable and I have been using TMP for a while now. Hope that helps. There are websites that provide specific values in each salt mix. The only thing I don't like about TMP is it is typically expensive....

quote that hole line.....
as i can say the same....

the $$ is for the name... and the name brings some real nice purk's

I happen to use Ocean Pure Pro ever since I started my tank about 2 1/2 years ago. My local FS decided to switch to Tropic Marin Pro and they swear by it. Regardless, if my salt is working fine, then I wont change it. Now, I dont even mix my salt anymore, I just bring in five 5 gallon jugs for them to fill it. Since they do not use Ocean Pure Pro but the plain ocean pure, I just dose a little bit more calcium. Plus it is .99 a gallon for me. I hate mixing salt, I like having it ready for me to use when I need it. If I were to change to TM pro, it would cost me 1.25 a gallon.

ive for the first time placed Lr out side to become dead rock... i felt real bad about it... but you know what not haveing broypsis in a newer lager tank help me make this big first step...

way to brake it down... Ill sware by TM pro.. and really just the regular Tm. i pure to levels cups of salt in to a home depot bucket.. fill to the line where the plastic brim starts... and mix it with a dawalt 18v drill and the long 36" glass scrapper... I mix 15 gallons in about 5 min... to a water change in under 30

try regular Tropic marin just be ready to dump some Ca in there every once and a while..

0n the other note.. of aglae. control...... Ive moved away totally from the "normal"

no additives no testing, no chemicals... Tm pro mixed as mentioned above... (years of refractometer practice) stedy temps low food amounts.. stirring, machine opperation cleaning

i really havent tested in over 2 years

I need to get a magnesium test kit soon!!! I moved away from a floater hydrometer to a refractometer and it made a world of difference. I couldnt believe how far off I was on my salinity. As for TM pro, I heard many good things about it. I just dont think I should change right now, I dont want to shock my corals but since I do my 1 to 2 gallon water changes a week, it would be a good way to acclimate my tank to a new salt. Again, I am reluctant!!

TNS

Back