Let's Talk About ~Snails~

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FYI, sundial snails are not always the prettier banded kind, mine was a solid mud brown color, but had the same type of shell with the strange little conical trapdoor, and he loved my zoos just the same! Notice the conical trapdoor in the second photo (sorry for the fuzziness)

Last edited:
Beeba - toss up a pic if you can - I'd love to see it, and see if I have anything that resembles it in a few books.

Blue Baron - I'm glad you brought that up. It seems that some folks experience that. Do you happen to have a sandbed? Just curious. I thought I read somewhere long ago that they have a hard time "righting" themselves on the sand, but I'm not sure how true that is. I haven't had a problem with turbos falling on their backs (at least that I've seen), so I can't compare to a BB system.

fishcrazee - thanks for posting! Definately the cone shaped operculum pictured there...great pics. Did you notice one zoo disappearing at a time, or an all around "closing up" of the zoos? How did you finally find it?

I get throwing him in my refugium, and the little buggar would climb back into the tank through the tubing..... I went to look in my tank one morning and he was sitting on top of a zoo all the others around it were closed up :( I picked him off and flushed him down the toilet! He destroyed one and had started to damage another but that one survived.

Hello, I happen to be a big fan of the nassaurius snail i bought 10 about a year ago and still have 9.But i also had about 100 turbo,s and still have about half of those,But i also used to have lunar wrasse that lived on them or considered them a delicasse'

Back