Lets talk closed loops....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pistonkev

Hey I have been away for over a year building a house raising three kids Yada Yada Yada. Anyway setting up a new 180 in wall tank and I want to run a closed loop. There used to be a cool closed loop thread over at reef central. It's gone with all the other Calfo posts not sure what happened. Anyway I am looking for the right size pump to drive that closed loop Do you think a Iwaki MD100RLT Water Pump will do the trick without trowing too much heat into a 180? How many heads should I have coming off of it for flow 12 or more?

for a 180, you can use a hammerhead. I use a Dart on my 125 and have 3 returns split into 6 returns using 3/4" loc line.

Hammerhead rocks! Low heat, low noise, lots of flow! Many pics of CL designs and articles with Q & A from other reefers on wetwebmedia.com. That's where the "Calfo Manifold" design is for example, and is what I use.

-David

Is that all you are using for flow? What are you keeping? SPS ??

Yep, I have a small pump that is a return from my fuge/sump but it just makes the surface of the water move to break up scum. I keep a mixed tank, one side is SPS the other Softies and LPS.

Sequence makes & nice pump, I also agree on the hammerhead, also if you want switching flow I would consider an Oceans Motion or a MBV! I love the MBV, it rocks!

Back