Lets talk skimmers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sure the 9010 works but its underpowered and overpriced. They do have there moments though if your stuck with a super small skimmer compartment. There CS is top notch as well.

Adam, the rs series has only been out of china for a few yrs. The older series were made in the US. That would be what your most likely seeing.

Sure the 9010 works but its underpowered and overpriced. They do have there moments though if your stuck with a super small skimmer compartment. There CS is top notch as well.

Adam, the rs series has only been out of china for a few yrs. The older series were made in the US. That would be what your most likely seeing.

I wasnt suggesting the tunze. Any idea what a decent replacement for my tunze would be. Microbubbles are probably my biggest concern.

Don

What size tank do you have? Tunze are great if dailed in correctly.

Dialed in?? There is only one knob, pretty simple to tune. Tunze's fall on their face when you have a clean tank. They do make some nasty skimmate in a dirty tank.:) About 70g total water.

Don

Don for a 70g i'd go with a msx160 with a pw, a dasex1. Those would be my budget choices. I had a bk mini at my place this week and it didn't impress me much to be honest so i wouldn't suggest those. The atb small with a sicce pw would be my high end choice. Even the new swc cone's with one sicce would be way plenty.

Don for a 70g i'd go with a msx160 with a pw, a dasex1. Those would be my budget choices. I had a bk mini at my place this week and it didn't impress me much to be honest so i wouldn't suggest those. The atb small with a sicce pw would be my high end choice. Even the new swc cone's with one sicce would be way plenty.

I'll make some measurements thanks. I'm almost ready to dig out an old turbo floater.:)

Don

lol, the 9010 tunze is nice for 75g or less with a small skimmer compartment, but they can't compete with many less expensive skimmers. Tunze 9010 is 400lph air, the msx160 is much larger and 700-1200lph air. The AB is 500lph air as a recirc. They are all good skimmers, just all for different setups.

For a 72g the msx/octo extreme 160 or 200 will work great for you and for under 300bux. They will skim circles around the tunze 9010. If you want super cheap the octo nw200 will work just fine.

there's nothing i can add here...luke's got your back!!

and i agree also on the msx/octo 160 for you don, if you can fit it....:)
i like 9010's on smaller tanks, but unless you clean the cup every day they get sluggish, and yes, when the tank is clean, they slow down production...the 160 is probably double the skimmer

lol, the 9010 tunze is nice for 75g or less with a small skimmer compartment, but they can't compete with many less expensive skimmers. Tunze 9010 is 400lph air, the msx160 is much larger and 700-1200lph air. The AB is 500lph air as a recirc. They are all good skimmers, just all for different setups.

actually, the new 9010 is 700lph air injection, but it's post pump venturi w/ larger bubbles than mesh, nw.

Just looked at that Marc. Aquacave has them at max 650lph, thats quite an improvement. I'm surprised they can handle that much air for being so small.

actually, the new 9010 is 700lph air injection, but it's post pump venturi w/ larger bubbles than mesh, nw.

Have you ever seen anyone put a venturi on the inlet side of 9010 pump. There is that little stub or do you think it would just shut down the pump.

Don

Depends on your budget. Cheapo i'd go with the msx250 or 300, either will work as they are pretty much the same skimmer. A bit more and i'd go with a octo pro300(cnc 300askoll) as they are the best mid skimmer out there, or i'd go with an atb medium with an airstar. There's also a new swc cone coming out as well. The warner marine's look nice too. Just totally depends on your budget but all will get the job done. The askoll pump's are superior to all the others though (airstar, cnc/pro pump and atb med pump)
can you educate me onthe difference between the msx 300 and the 250 pro i believe it was. i located them both and they were basically the same price and both rated for 300 gallons

Your thinking of the msx 250 and msx300. They are both using two sicce psk2500 one is 10" diameter one is 12" diameter. IMO they will handle the same size tank's.

There are octo extreme's out that are teh same exact skimmer as the msx's just relabeled by coralvue.

Now there are the octo pro's which are actually cnc marine supply skimmers sold to cv then relabeled and distrubuted to cv's dealers.

Now the pro's are a whole new ball game. I run the 300 pro and it uses an askol 1500 or modified laguna maxjet1500. It is running at 57w at 75scfh in 5.5" water. They are better than the msx skimmers as the pump's are silent and unbelievable in performance. They also run on a pinwheel. There is also a octo pro 250. If you run it with the 1500 laguna it will be to much unless you run it in 8" of water as the 1500 is to much at full throttle. Its a very nice skimmer as well. But out of all the 300pro is teh best imo. It could handle a 350g med stocked tank or around 300g heavily stocked tank. It is only 8" in diamter btw. The diameter doesn't make a huge difference imo.

And the only reason its better is because of the askoll. Slap an askoll on an extreme and your there : )

The msx/octo extreme 250 and 300 both use two sicce psk2500's and run on a pw or meshwheel. With a pw they pull 40-60scfh and with a meshwheel they pull 60-100 but may have startup probs. Thats both pump's combined. The octo/cnc pro 300 pulls 40-75scfh of air depending on water depth, 10" is around 40scfh and 5.5" is 75scfh, no startup probs ever. and they are very quiet.

Tiger the msx skimmers and octo pro's all have large diameter neck's. The pro's neck's are longer. msx 160 & 200 are both 4", msx 250 & 300 are 5.5" daimeter. Octo pro 250 is 4.5" diameter and octo pro 300 is 5" diameter. The wider the neck's the more air they are capable of handliing. There are msx 250 and 300 neck extensions that make them 8" tall and 5.5" wide. They are all great skimmers, the only difference is really the price and that is because of the pump's. The laguna's aren't cheap!

Tiger the msx skimmers and octo pro's all have large diameter neck's. The pro's neck's are longer. msx 160 & 200 are both 4", msx 250 & 300 are 5.5" daimeter. Octo pro 250 is 4.5" diameter and octo pro 300 is 5" diameter. The wider the neck's the more air they are capable of handliing. There are msx 250 and 300 neck extensions that make them 8" tall and 5.5" wide. They are all great skimmers, the only difference is really the price and that is because of the pump's. The laguna's aren't cheap!
Luke where can I find the prices on the laguna? What numbers did you get with the Laguna pump with a pinwheel?

Have you ever seen anyone put a venturi on the inlet side of 9010 pump. There is that little stub or do you think it would just shut down the pump.

Don

well, technically it's a sicce pump...lol
it is more a matter of i think not being a properly designed body, than the pump not working...im sure someone like you or myself could MAKE that pump work :) but should we?? lol
i say mabye just sell the 9010 if you feel you've grown out of it, and invest in the 160. you cant beat a mini sized skimmer with a sicce pump, bubble plate, and big fat neck...:)

Back