Leveling a 300 gallon tub

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marinelife

SaltGeek
I have a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank that I need to level. I was thinking of installing some 2x4s that are cut at an angle between the tub and the concrete blocks that are going under the tub. Maybe add some plywood between the cut 2x4s and the tank. Would this work and hold? Would I need to have the plywood. The tub has about a 6 foot base so I was thinking about maybe a 2x4 every 6 inches or so. Tell me your thoughts on this

Like this
level.JPG

I would set the highest cinder block and level the rest to it. Then 2 x 4's and [lywood directly under the tub. I would use womanized wood and cedar shims.

You probably do not need the plywood

It is difficult for me to advise with risk of misunderstanding, but if I do comprehend what you are proposing, it should be plenty good. The nice thing about tapered 2 by 4s is you can wedge each piece until you level the tank. The plywood is not necessary but besides helping with the weight distribution, it will help you adjust the wedges for level before you locate tank and water. I might seal/paint the wood but some say I am 'anal'.

Good luck,

set them all on the ground use a laser level, and shave down the larger one's

make the top of them even

is the ground that off level? where is this,

This is in the Garage
The wood would be 6 foot long and go from 0" to 1" at the other end, here is what I am thinking from a top view
level2.JPG

that looks fine, just throw some 2x4's in the middle make like a tic tac toe board.

Great thanks for the help. I will get the boards and figure out how to get the angle cut and then post pictures after I am done

Yeah that is what I will do, the wood will be 0" at one end and go to 1" at the other and the top will be level and the bottom will be where tha angle is

Yeah that is what I will do, the wood will be 0" at one end and go to 1" at the other and the top will be level and the bottom will be where tha angle is

Not the easiest of cuts... do you have a table saw? You may want to make a simple wood jig (correct angle) with a stop on the back end to help push the 2x4.

yeah that will be the trick, I was talking to my dad about the best way to do this because I will need it has straight as possible. He has all the saws I need. I will get some wood sometime thid week. I know I have some already , I just need to check and see what I have

If the wood's going down to 0", won't that end be in danger of snapping while you're setting it up? Why not go from 3" to 2" or 2" to 1"?

Back