LFS Recommendations

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DolphinLVR

RF Premium Member
Hello all,

I am getting ready to start up my Oceanic 140RR Tank. I am fairly new to the PNW and am living in La Conner. I would like to get your recommendations of some good LFS's in the puget sound area. Traviling down south isnt a big issue as long as my trip is worthwhile. I went to one LFS and wasnt too impressed, so rather than trying to find one on my own, I thought I would see what you all recommend.

Thanks,

Jeff

Try Saltwater City.........Bellevue
Blue Sierra..........Issaquah
Shark Reef ........Silverdale. All are sponsors.You can get their info in the sponsor links.
Scott

I've made it to Blue Sierra once to pick up some bulbs and check it out. Place is really nice with alot of variety.

Indoor Reef is closer to me (in Tacoma), probably the smallest store I've ever been in but it's also the nicest.

Aquarium Paradise in Tacoma is sometimes good, sometimes not. Last time I was there it was pretty ugly, time before that was pretty good. Think I'll not waste my time next time and just head to Indoor Reef.

Denny's Pet World is right off I-405 in Totem Lake (Kirkland) area. They have a fairly large 4 tier tank with lots of softies in it, and a decent variety of small fish, snails, shrimp, crabs and a few urchins last I was there (about 3/25/05) as well as several tanks of larger fish. Some staffers know more about SW than others, so you should ask around for someone who's actually got a personal tank running.

I've been to, but not purchased from Saltwater City in Bellevue. Lots of larger fish to choose from, quite a bit of live rock available, as well as a great selection of softies and corals. Very knowledgable staff, willing to spend time making sure you do it right. Often have sales or specials posted in the vendor section.

I went to Blue Sierra as well. Staff was helpful and knew what recommendations to make. I'll have to say that I did get 2 yellow tail blue damsels and 2 (all) blue damsels from them as my starter fish. My tank had not fully cycled with the LR, but my cycle wasn't very dramatic, ammonia and nitrates pretty low, and both of the blue damsels died within 2 days. The yellow tailed blue damsels are doing fine.

I would avoid Petco in Redmond. They had several dead or dying fish in their tanks, and well, it just seems like a low priority activity for them.

Further north, I've heard of Jones & Co in Marysville. Probably 10 years ago now, I had a FW tank with lots of stock from Jones & Co when they were in Lynnwood, always happy with them back then.

HTH

Dave

Back