Life after the disaster

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

greenmonkey51

I've got to restock the 125g. I swore I would never do this, but I want an aggressive tank. This isn't a list just some suggestions. I would really like an eel. A snowflake moray is probably my best choice. A volitan lionfish is the second choice. I just need to try out one of these. I would like to try a harlequin tusk also. These are 3 main fish I want. I may also try a tang, one of the Xanthichthys trigger, or a foxface. How would this work, and if not steer me in a direction that will.

A Tang or Foxface should work in that basic grouping. The Trigger and some other predatory fishes can be too assertive at feeding times and inhibit a Foxface and some Tangs. With the Trigger aside, this grouping is not classified as aggressive. More of a predatory grouping I would say, except for the the herbivores.

However, you may want to take a step back and see what you've suggested -- You want to keep together carnivores along with one herbivore. Like I mentioned, not a problem. But you'll have to provide different diets; different foods; etc. If they were all carnivores, feeding would be a lot easier. :)

Is there another fish that would fit in well with this grouping. Would one of the hogfish work.

I think most Hogfish would. I can't think of any that wouldn't. They are a member of the Wrasse family but that should not be an issue with the Harlequin.

Does the size of any of these fish make a difference in their total acclimation. I would really prefer to get a decent sized eel. I'd like the same with the lionfish. Also I've read that hogfish can be boisterous will this be problem with the lionfish or any others.

I can only speak in generalities -- Most of these fishes will acclimate quicker and adapt to captive life when they are young. Size matters when you consider the predatory nature of the fish, so that no fish becomes a meal to another. So, a smaller Lionfish might be preferred to start off with.

The Lionfish like to stalk their prey, so they sometimes like to take some time when feeding. Spot feeding the Lionfish will take care of that, until the other fish learn what it is you're doing and then they will try to muscle in on the feeding. Best to feed the tank, then spot feed the Lionfish. During the feeding of the rest of the tank, the Lionfish may catch on and try to eat some of that food. A lot has to do with the training you've provided the fish while it is in quarantine as to how it will get along when the others are being fed.

With the Trigger, the Hogfish should find its level of being assertive. I would choose an eel of your desired size; medium (4") Trigger, small Hogfish, 3-4" Harlequin, and small Lionfish. The 'smalls' should not tempt the eel.

The Harlequin, depending upon individual personality, will range from shy to forward. Hard to be sure what you get when in that mix. It will benefit from the quarantine and if given enough care and time, will likely be less shy but not completely forward.

What size of eel would you think would work with the mix. I'm thinking of getting a zebra moray. Are larger eels fairly easy to acclimate. Also what are the prospects of mixing two eels assuming they're the same size. Is the lionfish going to be a big limiter in the mix. Will everything I do hinge on it or do they go with the flow pretty easy.

The reality of eels is that most don't belong in captivity. Hobbyists fail to realize just how long/big they get. The younger the easier they are to acclimate, however you still should get one that you see is eating. Two would work if they are compatible. You'll need to read up on each for more info on that. Some hobbyists keep several eels together.

I wouldn't worry about the Lionfish. The list of fishes you are thinking about will have personality variances that can't and won't be accountable. The Lionfish will fit in so long as the tank is not overstocked.

I'm going to stick with just a zebra moray. I will build a pvc pipe complex. How big of pipe would you go with. I'd prefer to go with something that will do for most of its life. Also do zebras eat prepared foods pretty easy.

Almost any fish can be trained with the right approach, to eat almost anything, even things not good for them. A pipe 10% larger diameter than their adult diameter.

Back