?Light Acclimation? How do I do this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the6goat6man6

Ok, so I killed all( well most of them) either by burning them or something to do with the water.

I have the water straight now(things are opening) and I have the LEDs.

So, Need to restock and I don't want to burn anything else. Assuming where the frags and corals are coming from don't have anything brighter than T-5s, how would I go about Light acclimating my new corals?

Thank you

Hello Goatman,
I have seen people have very good success using a few layers of plastic window screen and removing a layer at a time for about a 4-5 days until they are gone.
Raising the light up a few feet and lowering it a few inches per day for a week will work also.
Cutting the light time back to 4 hours the first day, 5 the next and so on until you reach your normal time works also.
Hope this help buddy :)

I think Frankie hit one out of the park with that one. lol

I prefer the window screen method.
I usually support the window screen with eggcrate.
I happen to like this method because I use light timers. The timers are set so nothing is really required in a day to day routine, except on the 4th or 5th day, just remove a layer of window screen.

I think it sounds like a good one also. But my lights are still high now from acclimating the current inhabitants, the ones who survived. I just got them up to the right time, was going to start lowering them soon. Should I still use the screen, the lights are about 20inches above the water.

It still seems somethings like the zoos don't really like the whites. What is the least amount recommended for the whites. One of the (not so)LFS runs a few tanks on only blue light? I have heard 6hours, and 8-10? Not sure, I run the whites 6hrs. Can that be shortened?

In your first post you said the water was straight. Not to be a pain but maybe it would be best to provide your water parameters so we can rule out any possible errors.
The basic rundown will do: Ca++, Mg. Alk, PH, temp, salinity. and what test kits and salt being used.

I am not familiar with LED's so I cannot comment on them unfortunately. I wish I had. It seems more and more people are going this route these days.
Stray voltage has also been a culprit of bleaching. Have you checked for this possibility?

I think my problem was a sps, porites. I think it poisoned the tank then it snow balled. I have been doing water changes and now things are opening back up.

Calcium is still high, 510ppm-Nitrates less than 5ppm(good considering all that has died), everything else is perfect- phos, ammonia, nitrites, all 0-pH is 8.2- dKH is 9 and salinity is alittle high 1.028 (my falt, I refilled my ATO and never turned it on, dumb ass I am sometimes)

Well, things seems to be turning around. Still some of the zoos and mushrooms haven't opened, they are looking better though. Over the last couple weeks I have been picking up some new corals and a fish. I got this beautyful Powder Blue Tang, got alittle worried, he got ick the next day. Flared after two days and after 4 days it looked like it was gone. The fish never showed any signs other than the spotts, they were on it's eyes, fins, and body, all over. Now gone, no sign. Here's the kicker, I never treated him. I was gonna, but when I found something that seemed safe, he got better! and the other fish(egineer goby) was never effected.( My knuckles hurt from knocking on wood, LOL)
-My pod population has boomed, the glass is covered. (After a mounth or so I was considering getting a manderin) The little barrel like white sponges have returned, the little dusters are out and the new corals look GREAT!

This is what I got; (old) assorted mushrooms(red pimple, green pinwheel, gold spotted, metalic green, purple/red superman?), assorted zoos(they have changed color, they are FLOURESCENT yellow)
-(new)Long tnticle plate, green acans, purple pink eye palys, 2 different devils hands, duncan frag, favia, blasto, green torch, misc zoo rock(not sure, but a couple nuclear holocaust palys in there), and this awesome rock with green hairy mushrooms(they look so cool, metalic green with irredescent purple hairs)

I was also given a decorator crab that now resides in the fuge. It couldn't keep it's claws of my zoos. Totaly destroyed one colony(well he left a couple), after that, to the fuge he goes.

I can not say enough how awesome these LEDs look. They make everything brighter, bolder, and the shimmer, WOW. When the whites go off, watch out hippies, it's trippy. I have never seen anything like it.

I will get some pics and post them.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HELPED, I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH.

And on the side note; the old lady says I might have saved our relationship by silencing the HOB overflows(two of the in series), LOL.
get the pics now, give me a few

All of these are with the whites and blues.
Full display
img0441nh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
green hairy mushroom
img0462a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
green acans
img0455hk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
blasto frag
img0454pw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
powder blue tang
img0449r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
green torch, green acans, zoos
img0447p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
It looks way better in person. The camera makes it look more blue then it is. Damn digi cameras, analog was better quality I think, digi just makes it quiker.

Looks good dude! Hows that sand bed working for you? It's the Hawaiian black right?

Actually no, it is (was) clean,dry,sterile,black sand. I think it was called onyx sand or something. I used it in my old tank as a top off after my clown dug a 4in deep hole in my DSB, CRASH! I don't care for the white sand, here is the thread with all pics with fuge and sump.http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f14/update-things-starting-turn-around-60678/ Post#11. The fuge has the DEEEEEEP sand bed, my display only has 1in, alittle more in other spots

NO JEREMY!!!!!!!! That is the stuff made primarily of phosphates and nitrates!!!!!!!!:scared:

Joking!!:p Looks good man!! :peace:

That wasn't cool, my heart just dropped for a second, till I scrolled down. Thought I was gona have to tear down my tank. HAHA, good one Krish.

the6goat6man6 said:
That wasn't cool, my heart just dropped for a second, till I scrolled down. Thought I was gona have to tear down my tank. HAHA, good one Krish.

Haha! I should have left out that last line for at least 24 hours :p

Back