light bulb

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
Well is that time of the year again :D .
i have a 175w 14k Hamilton .... i really love the color, for me seriously it has been the only light bulb i have liked because of the blueish color but i'm wondering if i should try something new:p .
I know people here are using the XM bulbs and they seem happy, I don't want something super blue or white crisp, i want something in between a bulb with a little bit of blue in it :p .
I thought about the XM 14k but i believe i heard they not that good hmm.... may be in the 200s but how about in the 175?

I don't know doods .... give me suggestions please !!

Not sure about the 175's Gabbs...The 10K XM for sure will be too white for you if you want a bit of blue tint and the 20K XM will be too blue if you want a nice medium. I'm sure someone will have some useful feedback for you:)

Not sure about the 175's Gabbs...The 10K XM for sure will be too white for you if you want a bit of blue tint and the 20K XM will be too blue if you want a nice medium. I'm sure someone will have some useful feedback for you

yeah dood that's why i'm still wondering what should i get :p ..... may be i'll just get your lunar lights and use them for blue :D :lol: .

Hey Gabby,
I used both the hamilton 175 14k and the xm175 15k on my 20 long. The xm was a bit bluer than the hamilton imo. I ran them both on a blueline electronic ballast. If you like the look then stay with what you are running.
HTH's,
Scott

From what I've heard the hamilton 175 14k is a good looking lamp, just what I've heard though.

yeah dood they're good and i really like them i just wish they had a little bit of white in them :p .

ok Krishant and i were just talking about bulbs...here is the thing.... as the "blue" bulb ages, does it start loosing the white espectrum and makes the bulb looks bluer... or how does bulbs age :p ?

I just ordered 2 10k 400w Hamiltons, I hope they end up nice since I want a bit of blue and something nicer than the 6500 bulbs that are in there now.

Hey Spongy (Doodette) Gaby, I personally like the 10K crisp light with supplemental VHO's to add the blues, IMO the perfect combination & the best of both worlds, If you have room to add a little extra lighting it will serve both purposes, JMO though.

Hey Spongy (Doodette) Gaby, I personally like the 10K crisp light with supplemental VHO's to add the blues, IMO the perfect combination & the best of both worlds, If you have room to add a little extra lighting it will serve both purposes, JMO though.

you know i'd love to do that but hmm.... yeah .... i don't have a canopy dood :oops: and i don't think my tooth brushes would hold the lights for me :p otherwise i think it'd be kewl if i could do that :) .

scooter has hit the nail on the head!!!! listen up gabs!! tell the hubby its time you did it right

or aka? is this a name?? hey Gaby if you get the toothbtushes with coloured handles and string them under the bulb you could have the rainbow tank,i run xm 10k with vho and it does offset the glare quite a bit see ya Steve

And if Steve is road tripping to gaby's well guess we can all pile in the back

LOL!! we live in an apartment :lol: we don't have the tools dood... and even then.... the day he does that, it's because i'd already be out of the hobby and that ain't happening ;) .
I know some friends have offer to make me one but .... ohhh husbands :rolleyes: :lol: .

Back