Light not workign with timer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kingumar

I finally sat down today to set up a timer for my MH fixture i got from someone.
I think its an ebay fixture.. 2x25w + 4x54w T5.
now the problem is, every time i plug the fixture plug in to the timer.. the MH part doesn't work/turn on.
Th fixture has 3 different cords, 1 for the MH, 2nd for T5 and the 3rd for moonlights.

When i plug the T5 in it, it turn that on but no luck with the halides..
this is the timer i am using.. 120 volt 15 amp Digital Timer - EZ Hydroponics & Organics

Maybe its the timer?
any other suggestions for timers? I want something digital so i can set multiple on/off times in a day.

When i plug the T5 in it, it turn that on but no luck with the halides.

That's your answer. You have 3 cords, each one provides power to each set of bulbs - one for halides, one for T5's and one for moonlights. So if you plug in the cord for the T5's into the timer, it has not effect on the halides or moonlights. You would have to have 3 timers. Your timer has 2 controllable outlets so you can only put 2 of your sets of lights on a schedule.
Your options are to buy a second timer or look for a good used Aqua Controller Jr. with the DC8 or DC4 power strip. You will also get the benefit of temp and pH monitoring with this.

no what i think he was saying that he plugged in the t5 to see if the timer works and he said it works with the t5's only and when he plugged in the mh they didnt turn on.....at least thats what i got out of that

right! Just to check if the timer wasnt bad I plugged the wire that powers the T5 bulbs and it worked perfectly fine.
I will try to use one of these mechanical timers and see if it works!

yup, it works just fine then.
i will use another timer to see if any luck..

With the timmer set on move the mh plug a little side to side see if the light comes on then. may have to tweek the prongs on the plug in or out a little to make a connection with the timmer

like fulkerl said the problem may be with the plug. If the t5's worked with the timer then the MH should have worked too. Just something to check out.

Back