light requirements and substrate?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

volivier

i need to replace my 72" fixture. What lighting meets the requirements for montipora's, slimmer, etc. Below is some tank details and the substrate question/comments.

I have 3 400W MH and 2 72" vho at this time.

My tank is BB, 2 tunze 6100 and a dart on a closed loop, not sure of the flow rate on my return pump. I have a calcium and phosban reactor. Euroreef skimmer an older version

I'm thinking of adding sand again. I removed it due to the "detritus" i found under some rocks during a rock rearrangement of my tank. Really was gross.

i know constantly fiddling and changing my tank around isn't good for it, I think that DSB is a little more forgiving of things than BB.

I've grown out some frags and then lost them to a slow white out. Something i'm doing isn't working.

Ca 450
PO4 0.003
alk and kh 11 and 4
Nitrate unknown/ test kit empty
thanks for the help.

Valerie
struggling sps keeper

Hello,
Your current lighting is enough for all high light SPS corals. For substrate I would recommend something with a .2-1.2mm grain size.

Regards,
Kevin

I've got to replace my lighting. Two of the lights aren't working anymore. There is no reflective left on my light so i thought i'd either go T5 or the mini lumenbright 250's. From what i've read the t5's would only work for sps very very close to the water.

Two of the lights aren't working anymore.
Are the bulbs burned out or have the ballast gone bad?
How tall is a 135gallon tank? If it is 24" or more I would recommend 400W bulbs with high PAR output or DE 250's with equal PAR if you want to keep high light Acropora. Most Montipora can be kept under lower lighting and still have good color and growth. There are quite a few Acropora corals that also do well under lower lighting. The Slimer (A. yongei) is one of those.

Regards,
Kevin

22" tall, 18" wide, 6' long

sometimes the bulb will come on for a few seconds then goes off. i think its prob. wiring, but do to the fixture I think it's easier and cheaper in the long run to replace the light. I was thinking of going 250 due to the heat of the 400's and the elec. cost.

With your tank being only 22" deep 250 DE or mogul bulbs driven by an HQI ballast will work fine for any SPS corals.

Regards,
Kevin

hey kevin..how high should the light be off the water..because for my 2x250watts..i have it 1 and half feet high..wonder if that a bit too high..

Back