Lighting a 65 g for SPS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wcj

I know that lighting questions are probably the predominate questions for new reefers as I've read numerous posts trying to narrow down the choices and so I hate to bother you folks, but given the pricing of the fixtures, I'd like to make sure that I am not making a mistake. I have a 36 x 18 x 24 tank (65 g) with a 3/4" sandbed, some live rock and some water. Initially, I was think the Maristar 2 x 250W with 4x39W T5s. However, I am the last member in my family to have a tank and everyone else has T5 fixtures on their tanks. Due to the familiarity (and ease of getting help), I wanted to do a T5 as well. However, I've been told that T5 is only good down to about 18" of water depth. Does this depend on the manufacturer and lamp choice?

I was reading the difference between the Aquatinics TX5 and TEK fixtures, but thought there would be insufficient light. Moved over to the 8 bulb ATI (yes, it will cover almost the entire top of the tank), but would it be sufficient? If the answer is no, then I will go back to the Maristar and just concentrate the research into how this fixture would really operate and look to see if anyone else runs this fixture in a living room to know if this much light is distracting to the television viewing (for my husband's big screen). Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would think you would only need one 250 for a 3' tank. Dont need t5's if you dont want them just for looks.

Use on of the large Lumenarcs and it will work fine.

I would think you would only need one 250 for a 3' tank. Dont need t5's if you dont want them just for looks.

Use on of the large Lumenarcs and it will work fine.

I have bracing? in the center of the tank. (That black rim that goes around the tank also divides the tank in half -- down the center from front to back. (hope that makes sense). If I just did one, I would not be able to put it in the center or I would be lighting the bracing. If I did one MH off to one side, I would have strong light on one side obviously, but would there be sufficient light on the other side?

I had the same problem. I cut mine away and replaced with some clear palstic I got off a broken coralife light. left just enough on each side to drill a hole. Then used a small bolts w/nuts. (used to strips of the plastic so it would be stronger)

OOO my bad i didnt know you hade a brace.

Funny, I didn't know that anyone but the rimless people didn't have braces!:)
(Guess I really need to get out more.)

I feel a lot better as I was feeling really dumb when I read your response!

Thank you to everyone for your input.

Depending on what your rock structure looks like, I think you would do fine with a 6 or 8 bulb T5 fixture. Save a bunch on electricity!!!! Take a look around and you will see that people are doing the same thing with T5 fixtures that they are with halides. The important thing with T5's is individual reflectors for each bulb!!!!

Funny, I didn't know that anyone but the rimless people didn't have braces!:)
(Guess I really need to get out more.)

I feel a lot better as I was feeling really dumb when I read your response!

Thank you to everyone for your input.

I think the main point was that 2 250w MH might be a bit much. I had 760w(2 250w and 4 65w PC) over a 55g with a brace and F R I E D many corals and had major heat problems...that was a learning experience. You can fairly easily control heat so I'll leave that issue alone, but maybe even just stepping down to 2 150w MH's with the same fixture design would be sufficient.

I think the main point was that 2 250w MH might be a bit much. I had 760w(2 250w and 4 65w PC) over a 55g with a brace and F R I E D many corals and had major heat problems...that was a learning experience. You can fairly easily control heat so I'll leave that issue alone, but maybe even just stepping down to 2 150w MH's with the same fixture design would be sufficient.

You're right, the main point was missed on me. I understand now that I need less wattage in the MH and appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I haven't seen this fixture selling new with 2 x 150, but I know I've read some threads where it used to sell with 2 x 150. I'll continue looking. Thanks again.

You're right, the main point was missed on me. I understand now that I need less wattage in the MH and appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I haven't seen this fixture selling new with 2 x 150, but I know I've read some threads where it used to sell with 2 x 150. I'll continue looking. Thanks again.

I'm not sure about that exact fixture; however, my fixture was sold as a 760w/2x250w MH etc., if I wanted to step down to 150w's all I need to do is get new ballasts and new bulbs, but I can use the same fixture. IME most fixtures are interchangeable by adjusting the bulb/ballast combo.

Back