Lighting for 40Gal breeder

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Stone3

Any Suggestions on Lighting for a 40 Gal breeder with a 55gal sump... Lookins to have all softcorals, Some small colorful fish.. Any suggestions. MH or VHO?

I run the Aquaticlife 4 bulb T5 over my 40b. I have a softy/lps/sps tank.

I like that it uses one plug and has built in timers. Their customer service is great. The fan was loud on startup (for about a minute). I called to ask if they had a remedy and said don't worry, we'll ship you out a new fan.

I picked it up from Rob at Red C Aquarium in Shoreline. If he doesn't have it in stock at the moment he can order one and get it in pretty quickly.

If you're only wanting to grow soft corals, you can get away with standard fluorescent lighting. You could also run Compact Fluorescent but the bulbs are getting hard to find, as they're kind of becoming obsolete. I'd suggest T5HO, which will actually allow you to grow whatever you want, from soft corals to SPS/Clams and Anemones.

off subject but i have a 40b inline my system as a frag tank....mainly sps some softys.....6 t-5 are lighting it now....i want to switch to a mh over it will there be a great differnce in par?

Back