Lighting For Corals, Help a Newbie!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rgeiersbach

I have a 75 galon glass tank set up with about 90lbs of live rock on it. Right now I have a 2 54 watt CF on it. I want to move into LPS and maybe even SPS and I was wondering what lighting system was the best. T5, CF, MH?! Also how many watts do SPS and LPS corals need? My tanks has a seaclone protein skimmer for filteration and a Fluval 350.

I was thinking about moving to a sump/refug with an over flow box, will it be worth the risk or spilling over?

Basic information on how to move onto more complex reef systems would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks for all the help

If your using a metal 2 tier stand it may be wise to simply purchase a new 75G tank and have it drilled as your main (stand pipe), switch everything over to it and use your original ( non-drilled ) tank as a sump/fuge by adding some baffles and a submersible pump as a return. Then ditch that seaclone to a in sump model of skimmer and that will solve any worries about floods.

Then start to tackle your lighting, what you have now is pretty good for most basic soft corals, but I would deal with filtration way before worrying about lighting..

Just my 2 cents..

ok so as for lighting, you will need either a 250watt mh with supplementry actincs (sp) ...that is one settup. another is a t5 VHO settup. these setups are easier is you need a retro. both cost around 300-500 depending on what you want.

for LPS, you will need something like 5 watts per gallon
for SPS, you will need closer to 8 watts.

as for a 250watt Mh, you will be able to keep everything. all the way to sps. just make sure if you use a Mh, set it up so your bulb reaches all parts of the tank.

as for your seaclone, they are junk. get a remora. and just to tell you, once your cycle finishes, take out ALL the filter media (foam pads and etc.) becuase they are a factory for nitrite/nitrate.

if you have a drilled, its way safer then siphon but on the other hand, i've never herd anything about spilling over.

I have an overflow box that I was going to throw on and put a 20 gal sump with a ref down bellow with a mag 7 return. that was going to be my next step towards better filtration. I was thinking if I made a nice fug that would take away from needing a better skimmer right away.

Im not sure if I want to do retro kits with the lighting cause then I would need a canopy. I'm also trying to do all of this on a limited budget becuase I am a college student. All the advice is greatly appriciated though!

Thanks!

"Limited budget" and "Saltwater" don't go together in the same sentence...lol. Just kidding. I was told all of that to begin with as well and I've done fairly well by picking up used equipment from fellow RF members and other online resources. Definately check out the equipment part of this forum...it ROCKS. Especially with the tragic storm that hit the Seattle area...and somewhat this area here in Spokane. Unfortunately, a lot of reefers found themselves with dead tanks and now have equipment for sale. I agree with above, you'll definately want to go MH for SPS. Also, once you get your sump in place, I'd definately look at a Remora or the Sump equivelent made by AquaC. They can also be picked up at a great deal here on RF. Good luck and keep everyone posted!!

I have been looking for lighting and a new skimmer. Any idea on how much I can expect to spend on 2 X 250 metal halides, either retro or mounted. I want to buy the lighting but I don't know what a reasonable price to pay is. Thanks

for a 2-250MH retro kit, that will be right at $300-350....i thought they were more expensive until i shopped around..i made the mistake of paying around $300 for my VHO's..i decided to switch to MH's a week later.if you plan on keeping sps, you may as well go ahead and get the MH's..most PC or VHO kits will be around that price..might as well pay a few more dollars and get the MH's

Hi,

I definately agree with everyone else. Dual 250 electronic ballasts are the way to go. T-5's have not proved themselves to me for keeping everything yet. I would just shop around online for the cheapest Retro kit on Metal Halides. As for bulbs that is always a debate. HQI -I don't believe are worth the money for bulb replacement. I would keep to Mogul bulbs. I have Dual
20k Mogul bulbs and I really like the blue. I can keep anything I want with my setup for lighting. I plan on adding in double T-5 Retro kits though, so I will have 4- 48" long bulbs for the actinics.

As for the sump- I would just get a new tank and have it drilled or better yet-buy here on the forum from someone and pay 1/8 the new price like I did. Then you might be able to get a total package! I saved almost 3k on a used setup.
-Ali

Back