Lighting for corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rthomas

Have a 30g with frogspawn, xenia, open brain, and SPS frag. I currently have 2 - 65W = 130W flourescent coralife light fixture. Is this enough light and if not what can I add for lighting?

That's probably enough for the LPS you listed. In your other post, you mentioned the SPS is a staghorn. It's probably not going to be too happy with that amount of light. There are some SPS corals that will tolerate lower light levels, but I don't think that's one of them. I'll let someone else here comment more on that, but you should be OK with the other corals.

The Stag may survive but its not going to thrive or hold its color very well. The various Montiporas would fair much better. The lights you have will be adequate for the rest of the corals you have.

could you help a bit more about the T-5. I see there a different sizes. Which type would you recommend. Can I keep the fixture I have and just replace the bulbs?

could you help a bit more about the T-5. I see there a different sizes. Which type would you recommend. Can I keep the fixture I have and just replace the bulbs?
You will need to buy a new fixture for T-5's. A 2 bulb fixture would work great. Google for t-5 fixtures to learn more about them.

If your upgrading to a 75 you may want to see about getting 2x250 MH...perhaps a sunpod. They come in every size imaginable and also come with supplement lighting (blue and white LED's for moon lighting and such) and are lowering in price

Another great option for a 75 would be Sunlight Supply's Tek 5 in a 6 bulb fixture. That's what's on mine and my LPS, SPS and 3 Clams love it. I did recently move some SPS higher in the tank though. I think I'll be able to move them lower once I replace my 14 month old bulbs.

This is what I'm looking at buying but how do you have your bulb choice from front to back?

Greg Morgan at ReefGeeks set me up with bulbs and configuration.

http://www.reefgeek.com/

Bulb Order:
ATI 54W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent
UV Lighting 54W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent
ATI 54W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
GE 54W 3000K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent
UV Lighting 54W 10000K AquaSun T5 HO Fluorescent
ATI 54W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent

Back