lighting for echinos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

acrodesiac

I recently picked up a 2x250w DE HQI halide setup to replace my 2x175w XM 20k mag. balast setup. I naturally assumed I was going to get bigger performance out of my new setup, but after shopping for some bulbs for my "LPS" tank and doing spectral chart comparisons I was kinda surprised. My 175w XM 20k setup was not too far behind when comparing to similarly colored 250w DE setups. I've always kept my Echinos, Acans, Blastos, and Euphyllia under 14k or 20k lighting with great success. I know my corals will be OK under 10k bulbs wich have a substantialy higher par output but I have really fallen in love with the way my lps corals look under 20k bulbs. I have watched echinos literally melt away under extremely bright 10k lighting and thats why I have always used bluer light. My theory is that very bright blue light gives the best results with these corals. I really don't have a direct question but I just kinda wanted to start up a disscusion on everyone's experience with the corals I have described. Thanks for reading:) Let's get some pics too:D

I have my echinos under 250watt 14k' and they always did good for me.
greeneyezp0.jpg

I run 250 watt 10k xm's. I have found that all of my chalice and echino can tolerate being pretty much anywhere in the tank. But that I get the best color out of them on the sand as far away from the lights but still in direct light as i can get them.

When i used bulbs with less par it didnt matter so much.

i keep echinos and have seen echinos in the wild and boy were they nice colours. The thing i noticed about the wild echinos is that they grow in under hangs or start life in there and may not get any direct sunlight untill they reach the edge of the over hang it was amussing to see how differntly it grew in natuer to where it was placed in my tank, now i have my red echino on a vertical angle its not in a cave but dose get good lighting

10k bulbs are spousdley the best bulbs for quick coral growth, but if u have had 20k and go down to 10k colours dont seem to flourecs much

I agree that higher K bulbs make most corals flouresce more.....although, here are a couple shots of pretty nice colors under 10k's, no actinics.

chalice.jpg

greenechino.jpg

DSC_2571.jpg

Fly guy,
Those are beautifull what type/brand of light and far underneath. I ask because I may switch from 20k to 12K or maybe even 10K.
:)
Paul

Not all corals need so much lighting, that is where research comes into play. Coral needs vary a good bit as far as lighting goes, all depends on what you want to keep.

Fly guy,
Those are beautifull what type/brand of light and far underneath. I ask because I may switch from 20k to 12K or maybe even 10K.
:)
Paul

250 watt 10 k xm's. As far away from direct lighting as i can get without being in the shade.

Of course......I dont have those corals anymore.

I lost all corals in both my 90 and the 225 over the holiday. :(

Back