Lighting help please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blooper74

I am going to be setting up a 90gal. soon and would like to know what kind of lighting I should put on it. I want to be able to keep any soft, lps and some sps corals as well as a clam or 3 in said tank.
I was thinking that a 400watt MH with a 15k would be enough but I am not sure. Input would be most appreciated, thanks.
Or does anybody thing a single 250 MH would be fine on a 90gal.?

I wouldn't recommend going with a single MH. I tried that on my 58 gallon with a 400 watt metal halide. I didn't like the way it looked due to shadows and dark/light spots and ended up having to add another one. Now with 800 watts of 14k MH my tank. Later research suggested lamp placement every 24". Once again I didn't do enough research and it cost me more money.

Since it is prob a 48" tank I would do 2 -250W MH fixtures. I would not do 400W due to heat.

Brenden said:
Since it is prob a 48" tank I would do 2 -250W MH fixtures. I would not do 400W due to heat.

Agreed, you should be able to grow just about anything with two 250's

Cool thanks everyone. Do you all think I would be fine with just MH or should I add some T5's for supplement? I don't want the tank to be too blue.

I've always liked the additional light actinics produce. I use a 14K Hamilton and it looks great with my VHO's.

Ok I think I have an idea of what to get. Thanks for the valuable info everybody. Happy reefing to you all.

Ok I think I have an idea of what to get. Thanks for the valuable info everybody. Happy reefing to you all.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, but I'll just toss in that I'd go for dual 250's. As fopr supplemental lighting, if you don't want it too blue and are not looking for a dusk to dawn effect, I'd just go with a 12K bulb possibly. Best wishes with the project:)

Thanks krish, I was hopeing you would chime in on this one. I may go with a dusk dawn setting I am not sure yet. Nothing is set in stone at this point. Just trying to get some better information.

No prob:) If you want the dusk to dawn effect and don't want to have to add extra reflectors for the supplemental lighting, maybe you can run VHO's as the bulbs have the reflectors basically built right into the bulb therefore, there is no need for extra reflectors if you don't want to use them or don't have the space for them:)

Back