Lighting Help Please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltybell

bio balls
I just bought a new system (used new to me). It has a Ice Cap 660 ballest and 3 VHO lights with clips and end caps. The bulbs are 2 Atinic and 1 super Atinic. The problem is when I plug it in only one light fires up then shuts off. If you unplug the balast and plug it back in it does the same thing. I check the wiring diagram and that all looks good. I have never had this style lighting so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. Any help would be great.

It sounds like one or more lamps may not have its pins in good contact with the socket contacts. I would check the orientation of the lamps in the sockets first. You can also use regular T12 lamps to check the function of the ballast and the sockets if you want to eliminate the possibility of a dead lamp.

Otherwise, you can check the lamp application and flourescent wiring diagrams on the http://www.icecapinc.com/aq.htm website. Icecap also has a good reputation for customer service, and might help you if you contact them on their website or on their vendor forum at RC.

It sounds like one or more lamps may not have its pins in good contact with the socket contacts. I would check the orientation of the lamps in the sockets first. You can also use regular T12 lamps to check the function of the ballast and the sockets if you want to eliminate the possibility of a dead lamp.

Otherwise, you can check the lamp application and flourescent wiring diagrams on the http://www.icecapinc.com/aq.htm website. Icecap also has a good reputation for customer service, and might help you if you contact them on their website or on their vendor forum at RC.

I agree when I used to bump mine the wrong way in the canopy they would flicker off . Even if I unplug them and plugged them back in they would turn on then right back off.

Check the wiring connections again and end caps.

Hi Bell, same system I am using (diff combo of bulbs). Twist each each bulb a little bit inside of it's sockets and relight the lights. Might try also pushing the end caps toward each other end to end. After each test, retry lighting the bulbs. (turn the switch on or plug in) Eventualy you will find the bulb that is not fully plugged in on both ends. Once all three bulbs are fully engaged with all 4 contacts each making connection, it will stay lit.

Back