Lighting problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

I have a 36 inch 96w coralife cf. I have a dual actinic bulb, that are about four months old. I am now getting a flutter or flicker. Would this be a bulb or ballast problem?

With them only being 4 months old I would tend to think the bulbs are okay but that leaves two other possiblities in my mind.

1) a bad connection in wiring to sockets or even a loose socket that isn't keeping the bulb tight

2) May even be a heat issue with the balast. is there a fan in your assembly? If not maybe try to run a fan across the top of fixture to help cool things down

let us know what you find
Duane

The bulbs are only 4 months the ballast and fixture is about a year old. I just brought my fan up from my sump to blow across the top of the tank.

With the balast and fixture being a year old you night want to pull it apart and look for corrosion where where ever there is a connection in the wiring. Lots of times they will use wire nuts to tie the two ends and power together. With lots of condesation all you might have to do is stip the wire back and renut the connection.

The back side of the socket is often exposed as well and may need to be redone. not hard to do, just takes time.

Hello, I had the same fixture .I just gave it a smackkkk.:eek: ..lol ...just kidding it's is most likely your ground connection inside the fixture.Just open it up and tape up the wire at least thats what i did .And it worked:) :D o yeah they say to replace bulb's about every 6 month's..

Last edited:
Back