lighting question: is a current USA a good choice for a 36x20x22 tall tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

I have Lighting questions of course...

On an elos 36 x 20 x 22h tank, my leading choice is a Current USA 36 inch with 2- 250W HQI and 2- T5s...is it a good choice? anyone have experience with them? Any feedback on the 2-150watt HQIs vs 2 of the 250s?

bump for some input?? Most of you have a ton more experience than me on lighting options, hopefully you can offer a word or two...?

Anyone have comments on this lighting choice for my elos tank that is on order with a mix of SPS (Milli, Stylo, Staghorn, Slimer, Monti), LPS, Clam, Softies (Ricordia, Frogspawn, Star Polyp, Zoanthids, etc), and Fish/Inverts?

You will need the 250's for that depth If you intend on keeping the sps light demanding corals & clams, I'd say go for it good unit.

Go with the 250s BOB. I think the 150 is worthless for a sps dominated tank JMO. I swear everyone I know that started out with 150 wished they went with 250 instead. Think about it this way the light will be there when you need more light for some reason.

My other thought was the luminarc reflector with a single 250 in it, but I don't think it will be as good. I am hoping the light from 2 bulbs will avoid the "shadows" on corals where polyps don't grow

Bob I have a lumenarc mini stealth about 9'' over my 40b 36''x18''x16'' tall. I do have a light shaddow area like 2'' from each end of the tank, but I just installed 2 65w pcs and it took care of the shadows. I just put my lps towards the ends of the tank and sps/clams I put them pretty much anywhere besides 2'' from each end and it gets great lighting. Or you can go with 400w halides and move the luenarcs up a few more inches and it should pretty much cover your whole tank. Think about it you would only have to replace 1 bulb per yr vrs. 2 bulbs a yr and use less energy. JMO and experiance.:D

Back