lighting question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tava716

tava716
Hey gang!

Would VHO or compact fluorescent be a better way for me to go in order to be able to house corals? Right now I have just your basic aquarium ballasts with 2 actinics and a 10K (nothing special) :(

I am asking my family for gift certificates to the LFS for Christmas so I cna get new lighting! :)

Thanks!

Depends on which corals, SPS as a rule require MH lights. The vho and pc's are good for softies and lps. Clams seem to do better under MH also.

Ya.....More info on which corals????? For a 90gal. I would do either power compacts/300 to 400watts mostly actinic if you can, then toss in atleast 2 250watt MH bulbs... Then you should be able to keep just about anything..

You could easily start off with just the power compacts and add on the MH later....

I would use VHO over PC lighting any day. I've had both and I think the color from the VHO actinic's are much better. My favorite combo is VHO/MH even though I'm not into SPS (yet) or clams, I just love the 'shimer' effect from the MH. Even if you don't plan to have a ton of SPS or clams, I would still try to get MH lighting if you can so you can always have that option later on.

I would suggest the power compacts. You get more bang for your buck, which leaves you more money later to add some Halides if your going clams or sps.
I would try online, unless your lfs is vastly different from any I've seen, you will get better deals and a much better selection.

and welcome to Reefing.:D

T

Thaks all! I like Dr Foster and smith. Not a bad online store. Maybe I will ask for Gift Certs to there. I did not have any plans on doing clams/sps. just want to have a host or 2 for my clowns and maybe some leather corals. Allthough, clams are rellay cool!

So let me see if I got this straight. If not going the way of SPS, I would be good without MH, but if going clams/SPS MH is a must?

I see on Dr Foster and Smith that there are some PC retrofit kits. The one I am looking at is 2 actinic and 2 daylight = 4-65 watt. $160.00. Maybe this is a good idea? Convert my existing 48" hood?

[QUOTESo let me see if I got this straight. If not going the way of SPS, I would be good without MH, but if going clams/SPS MH is a must?[/QUOTE]

I would say nothing is absolute in reefs and lighting is one of the most debated subjects on forums, having said that the answer to your question is

Yes.

I will go to my LFS and look at different lighting configurations on there tanks and see whigh one I like the best. I think I will choose between PC and VHO for now. Will have to add MH later on in life.

Thanks for the help all! You are great!

While SPS/Clams need MH and softies don't, I like the look of MH and am willing to pay for it based on that alone. I have put a lot of money into my tank and I feel MH will best show it off, even if my inhabitants don't require it. If you are looking for a great price on a MH retro, check out www.diyreef.com (sponsor) and you can get one going for pretty cheap. That's the setup I have an am very happy with it. www.hellolights.com also has good deals as well. Good luck with the light hunting.

those are some good prices at diyreef.

maybe it's time for me to upgrade. I like that vho MH combination retro.
hmmm a little Christmas present, to myself:D

T

I have that same ballast running 2 36" VHO's. The end caps go a little bit past 36", so it depends on how much room you have. And most people seem to agree that URI Super Actinic R's bulbs are the best actinics out there, and come with the DIYreef.com kit with the ARO ballast.

If you are not now interested in clams and sps I would go with pc's or vho or wvwn better are thew new T-5's. When you get into MH's you well get into needing fans on you canopy and heat issues. You may need to get a chiller or run AC in the house, with MH's heat becomes a real issue as well as alot more evaporation. I ran 96 watt pc's 10,000k and one 03 atinic on my 75 and it was plenty bright. I now have a 230 with 400 watt MH's and had to install AC in the house for the summers and run fans all the time. Pc's need no fans or AC. SO there are tradeoffs to be considered other then just the lights.

Back