Lighting question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fishyguy

I'm setting up a reef system for a new 47gallon tank, dimensions are 31"(tall) x 20"(wide) x 18"(deep). I currently have no hood and an all glass top.

I have been looking at Power Compact lighting options, more specifically the 20" Aqualight PC 1X28W, 20" Satellite PC 1X40, and the 20" Orbit CU1020 . My concern is that these lights are advertised for 10 gallon reef systems. I was considering buying two of these setups for my tank but am still concerned about the lighting being able to penetrate the entire water column. Any advise is very welcomed.

-Matt :confused:

Last edited:
Welcome to RF Matt! I have a coralife aqualight over my 90 gal and I've had no problems with it yet. Infact, this is my 3rd coralife light. I guess you would need to give us a little more info on what you plan on keeping in your tank to know if the light is suitable. Best of luck to you and glad you have decided to join us here...

Thanks for the welcome Krish,

My tank will house fish, live rock and eventually soft and polyp corals. My main concern is the height of my tank. Average tanks are around 16-22" in height as mine is 31".

-Matt

Not enough light! Try the Current Satellite USA Dual 2x40 20" power compact. Two of those should be enough to put you over the minimum of 3 watts per gallon, although I prefer to go with a little more than 6 watts per gallon, of course these numbers are very subjective. Since your tank is so tall (31") I would suggest more light. A lot depends on what you want to keep. That may be your best approach-to determine what you want to keep in your tank and then figure on your lighting requirements

I see you just posted about wanting to keep corals. If you use the two, 2x40watt lights just place the corals high up on your rock so they are closer to the lights.

Yeah, the pc's will not penetrate all the way down. I have trouble with mine now and my tank is only 24'' tall.

Matt, I was curious, are you working with a budget? That may help us figure out the best option for you if we knew how much you are working with.

Ok let me mix it up a little more.

I'm running a canister filter and have my skimmer mounted. So if I'd like to be able to still open the top I need lighting that is no deeper than about 8.5" so it can fit nicely over the glass top. One Current Satellite USA Dual 2x40 20" is about 6" so I don't think that is an available option. Would one orbit CU1020 be adequate for my uses?

https://www82.safesecureweb.com/web...=WAI&Product_Code=CU1020&Category_Code=COCFLL

By the way I'm relatively new to the marine environment so please be patient :).

Matt

Last edited:
Man, that's tall. Wow. Are you dead set on that tank? If so, I'd be looking at a 250w MH minimum, but I admit to being a light hog. Additionally, that kicks you WAY beyond your budget.

Why not consider a more practical tank? Tanks aren't that expensive (my 36Wx12Dx20T 38g was only $65), and you'd have a ton more footprint for corals and swimming room. With a tank as tall as that 47, you won't have enough of a footprint to build the rocks wide enough to go anywhere near as high as you may need.

With my old 30 gallon I had light strips covering the entire top of the tank with just enough space to easily insert the feeding syringe and tube I use. I mounted the back light strip higher than the front so it wouldn't interfear with the overflow to the sump. When ever there was a lot of maintenance to be done (or water changes) I just took one of the strips off. If you can't make it with PCs then try VHO or MH- you may pay more upfront but it is in the long term your investment will pay off. Imagine having to replace fish, rock and corals that have all died and you'll understand its worth a little money now than a lot more later.

Back