lighting question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

crete456

Hello...I am currently in the process of converting my FO tank to a reef tank and would appreciate some advice on lighting..I have a 37 gal tank...30"L,12"W,20"D...and also what about filtration...I have a Emporer400 w/cpr bak pak protein skimmer...thanks

Cool! What do you plan on keeping in the tank? That will determine what lighting you will need. As for filtration, the Emperor400 can help with mechanical filtration or being used to run carbon, but the bio-wheels will have to go. They will eventually work as a nitrate factory so I'd personally remove them. Are you thinking about running a sump? If not, or if you haven't given it much thought, I'd consider one. It will add more volume to your system making it more stable, you can get the CPR skimmer out of the tank and hang it on the sump as well as you can possibly keep a macro algae in there to help with nutrient export. Just a few thoughts and questions...Best of luck with the change over:)

Welcome to Reef Frontiers crete456!
Krish is right on it huh? :lol:
Alot depends on what you plan on keepin in your tank.
You can always keep the emperor (depending on what you plan on keeping in the tank) and make it a mini fuge. I have made a couple of them out of various filters. You can even get a surface skimer for the aquaclears. Those work good as mini fuges.

sumps & refug

Thanks for the reply...I'm going to have to do some research converting over to a reef tank...I have no idea what a sump is or a refugium is and its purpose...also I thought the bio wheel helps to remove nitrates not produce them...can you suggest beginner corals and such for my tank..thanks

Back