Lighting question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LTRN

I am new to this, so bear with me....

I have a timer for my lighting and was wondering when and what lights I should have on all the time, at night, and during the day. I have separate control over the actinic, flourescent, and moonlights (at least I think that is what they are, they are LED looking lights in the top of the dome that don't put out much light at all). How should all of these be done? I am also have an algae outbreak.

Right now I have the flourescent ones on during the day and the actinic at night (thought those were originally the moonlights because they're blue:oops:) This may be the reason for my algae outbreak, but am not sure. Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the board, hope we can be helpful or at least entertaining.

Do you have corals or softys? If so, have all your lights on for a single photo period during the day unless you have a heat problem. Night lights are not good for coral and the fish do not need them. The algae comes from too much nutrients, do more water changes.

The moon lights are just for your pleasure. As Mike said algae come from too much nutrients in the water. Old bulbs can also cause a algae problem to be worse.

I was told by the fish store that I need to let my tank mature more before I add corals or anything else at this point in time, that maybe in another couple of months that I could start getting some corals. I have no idea what softys are:confused:

So, I should not leave the actinic on at night? Only the moonlights?
Should I have both actinic and flourescent on during the day? I'm not sure what was meant by a "single photo period".

So, I should not leave the actinic on at night? Only the moonlights?
Should I have both actinic and flourescent on during the day? I'm not sure what was meant by a "single photo period".

Yes moonlights only at night, and all other lights including actinics on during the day.

Softys means soft corals such as mushroom rock, leather corals, Kenya tree, anemones, xenia, and such.

Aha!

Maybe this is adding to my algae, 24/7 lighting. I will change this tonight!

Adding corals and softys not a good idea right now???????

Matters what stage your tank is in. i made this mistake already, adding softies or corals while your levels are spiking might be a bad idea and a waste of your money. i would get your water tested especially if you are going through an algae phase. How big is your tank?

My tank is 125 gallons. I changed the lighting around to where they are only on for 12 hours, vs 24 hours and that has made all the difference in the world. My sand now looks like sand and not a greenish black film and the rock is 100% better too. I went away for the weekend and had the girl at the fish store come in to feed them while I was gone and she said that my tank looked great. The water is clearer than ever! I guess when you don't feed the algae 24 hours a day it has a tendency not to overtake the tank! All my levels are still at zero too.

Back