lighting question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklight2ooo

so here is the deal, i have a Eclipse 12 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium System

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0004LVVF8

It comes with a light on it but I’m afraid it isn’t enough. I think its a little 14watt florescent light.

What i was thinking of doing is putting in 2 more bulbs, 20 watts each. they would also be compact fluorescents. And possibility a bulb for night time viewing as well but i hear those are expensive. Moon light light I think.

im just wondering how i can go about installing these lights into the already existing hood i have in place. Without electrocution of me or my fish. or making it look like a huricane went through my hood.

Would 40 watts of florescent lighting plus my current 14 so... 54 watts be to much for a 12 gallon tank is more definitely more?

Maybe you can remove the hood like Debbie suggested and have a custom canopy built to hold all of the lights. Just a thought...:)

i guess i could do that, do you think building a hood would take more work then just modding the one i currently have? Noise is a big issue with me sleep is something i don’t get enough as is I’m just wondering if i where to make a new one it wouldn’t seal shut like the current hood does. Though I guess I should be more worried about the heat issues but fluorescents don’t give out much heat.

Plus how much light is to much light? Are the standard compact fluorescents good enough for growing coral or would i need something a little more powerful. If the fluorescents work id rather go with them because of money issues.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, I know that just making a new hood would be much better for the tank but its just the trickling noises that would drive me nuts.

Back