lighting question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

right now I have two 250watt halides over my 2x3' tank with euro bracing. The actual opening of the tanks only about 2' wide. I have really crappy reflectors.

would it be an upgrade to switch to one single 400 watt directly over the opening of the tank with a luminacrs reflector?

this is for SPS

Reflectors are a major contributor to the efficiency of your lighting setup. Those Lumenarcs are pretty top notch. I'd bet it would be significantly brighter, but you'd also only have one light source, which would make for harsher shadows than having multiple light source.

Why not just add two of those reflectors & it should improve dramatically, or If your tight for room, get the LIII MINI's! Smaller version!

i would stay with what you have now and just up the reflectors if you REALLY think you need 2....

if its not broke dont fix it.

Hi Brett.

I would agree with Scooter. 2x Lumenarc III MINIS and both at 250W (so you don't have to buy new ballasts, etc) would be awesome...IMO..

Best,
Ilham

the thing about TWO luminarcs is they are too wide for the cutout on the top of my tank and a great deal of the lighting would be directed onto the euro bracing

the thing about TWO luminarcs is they are too wide for the cutout on the top of my tank and a great deal of the lighting would be directed onto the euro bracing

Even the Mini's? 14"x14"?

If so then you can look at a PFO or sunlight supply reef-optic pendant or maybe like you said one LIII, maybe try it with the 250 first then If you need more try the 400 but IMO If you can use what you got & up-grade the reflectors I'd go that route to save the money on new stuff.

http://www.sunlightsupply.com/product.cfm?sid=596FDC3FE0815D5534EB9F01F1983D72&p=1018&cs=products%2Ecfm%3Fsid%3D596FDC3FE0815D5534EB9F01F1983D72%26c%3D23%26kys%3D%26pgi%3D1
\

well Bret looks like the concensus is going with 2 250s. I still have your ballast you are more than welcome to swap it back any time buddy.

I should have mentioned I was trading the 250's for the 400, so there would be no expense except for the reflector

One 400 will spot a 2x2 area well but the outer areas will have less light, so you may need to place corals accordingly.

The Lumenarcs are said to have a 3x3 spread, actually. But my original point still stands, which is in many ways similar to yours... One light source, especially at the outer areas, will create some pretty harsh shadows. If you can swing 2 of the Lumenarc minis, that would be the best of both worlds.

Hay bret, I have both minis & large. If you like your welcome to come take a looky or we can unhook one and give it a quick try to see if you like it. Let me know pal. Chow

how much room do you have above the tank to lift the reflector? I have seen single l3's with 250w bulbs light a 4x4 space with no porblems...I think the single bulb would be fine so long as you could lift the reflector off the water just a bit!

The L3's light a huge area IME. On my elos 120(48l x 31w x 19.5t) I think I could have gotten away with a SINGLE 400w in a L3. As it is, I have 2 x 250w(driven to 325W on hqi ballast) in L3's and Id say its overkilll.

The L3's light a huge area IME. On my elos 120(48l x 31w x 19.5t) I think I could have gotten away with a SINGLE 400w in a L3. As it is, I have 2 x 250w(driven to 325W on hqi ballast) in L3's and Id say its overkilll.

Think two of the LIII Mini's would of worked fine on your tank? I'm about to order, I have plenty of height room but was thinking I would go about 8" off the water on two LIII's but maybe the mini's would work fine at 8" also?

I would do the minis scoot. my lights are about 12 inches off the surface and with the open top i dont get too much heat transfer. a canopy would change things though. i would add fans

Hay bret, I have both minis & large. If you like your welcome to come take a looky or we can unhook one and give it a quick try to see if you like it. Let me know pal. Chow

I took one of my luminarcs mini over to his place yesterday Tracy looks like it would fit under the hood. It would just be difficult to get your arm in the tank if you have to do some maintenace or move stuff around not much room after you mount the minis.

I also have a lumenarc mini over my 40b 36''x18''x17'' about a good 12 inches above my water and it lights up the whole tank no shodow areas at all them things cover a good 3'x3' area.

Back