Lighting question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Network_Guy

Alright guys I'm getting ready to setup my 125gal (72.5 x 18.5 x 23) and need some advice on lighting. I plan on keeping SPS and maybe a clam so MH for sure. I will need to go with a retro kit due to my hood... Any recommendations on MH lighting/ballast? What is working for you? Let me have it!

Last edited:
You don't need MH for that, but it would be easier to setup. I would do 3 250 watt DE bulbs, with good reflectors. Get an electronic ballast. If you like a nice blue tank go for the 14,000k phoenix bulbs.

Or go with T-5's get 16 3 foot long T5-s with good reflectors and you will have plunety of light.

Kim

Yeah I think 12k is the way that I will go. I've got some t5's ready to install so I just need to decide some reflectors and a ballast.

I had PFO retro kits in both my 75gal and 38gal cube and didn't have any issues whatsoever with either. The only issue I'd say I had with my dual 250w PFO retro kit was the physical size of the ballast. Here's a picture to show you what I mean, but other than that, would go back to the same brand if I set up another tank. :)

Last edited:
Today, I would highly suggest going with one of the electronic ballasts myself. The Coralvue Dimmable ones are very nice, since you can dial them up or down to change the light output which will change the color as well. But any good electronic ballast will work very well.

For pendents, you can go with the small inexpensive ones from Hello lights( and other places), they are around 35 to 40 each, nice thing is they are very small and easy to mount, but they do not have the best reflectors in them.

Kim

10" of height is tight for mh with big reflectors. I'd IMO would consider T5's as an option. Reason why? Space to do whatever inside the tank, as in cleaning, rearranging corals etc. 10" will be tight no mater though, so If you do MH consider options like hanging them so you can remove to allow cleaning etc...
So give it consideration.
I know I said pendants aren't always the best option but in this case they may be!
I'd look around at several similar tanks with hoods as yours to help make your choice!

Just a thought & opinion! :)

Thanks Scooterman, that is some good advice. Tank access will be a pain but hanging the lights might be the answer.

I got the coralvue dimmable ballast for my 250 and I love it!
The new galaxyGALAXY dual 250 electronic ballast from sunlight supply is about 260$
And supposed to be PIMP!
or, you cant go wrong with ICE CAP ballasts!

Back