Lighting Questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

loluckyve

Still amazed
I currently am running 2 250W MH w/actinics that sit on top of my 125 gallon tank. I am looking into getting new lighting set up and am looking for recommendations/ suggestions. I am leaning toward lumen bright or lumen max pendants but am still undecieded. If I go with pendants does this give me my full spectrum needed. What about atinics? I would need two pendants, do I need two ballasts? Looking for advice of you experienced reefers lol.

Thanks

O.K. this is a loaded question..
As for lights some actinic (floresent) lighting is always a good thing for a little dawn to dusk feel..
(not needed but nice for corals fish and you)
on your 120 you would need two reflectors and two bulbs and you can purchase a "DUAL MH ballast" or two singles..
I would stick with mougle bulbs.. cheaper and way more variety of bulbs to choose from when buying..
Also go with electronic ballasts. they are more efficient and burn bulbs better.. and don't get as hot..
As for the reflectors.
LUMEN BRIGHTS are gonna give you the highest par (as per Mark Levensons test) but have a bit of a spotlight effect if put to low to the water.
I have no experience with lumenmax so I couldn't tell you on that one..

i run 2x250w 15k radium bulbs, hqi ballest and two lumenbright large reflectors on my 120 i also have the icecap 48" led actinic

Back