Lights and Ballasts

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jhampton_wsu

I don't know if you can do that but, what I do know is that I have the 150 & the 250 fixture (same one except they have actinics). The plug that goes from the hood to the ballast on the 250 is different from the 150. So, if it is possible you would have to change the plugs.

If I'm not mistaken, the bulbs in your fixture are double ended. Aren't DE250 bulbs longer than DE150 bulbs? I think changing over will require more than just a ballast and bulb change. I don't think 250s would even fit in the 150 end caps.

Yup you will have to spread out the end connections for the bulbs. You also need to make sure they used heavy enough wiring for the 200w jump.

Don

Thanks. I didn't know the bulbs were longer, it makes sense though. As far as the ballasts go can I just swap out the cords that connect the ballast to the light? Where would I buy these kind of cords?

DE 150 bulbs have a completely different socket than the 250s. They are not compatible. It will not work unless you change the ceramic ends inside the fixture. IMO, you'd be better off buying a new fixture. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I eventually switched to SE fixtures because they are more universal than DE as well as more variety in bulbs..

Back