Ligthing for a 155 Reef Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bclaveria

DSB
I have several questions before I order my lights for my 155. I'm leaning on 2-250 HQI Hanging Pendant either run by an icecap ballast or blueline ballast. I'm not sure if 2-250 plus 4-110 actinics will be enough light for a 155 gallon which I will stock with SPS, LPS, Clams, and soft corals. The other question I have is whether a hanging pendant can be used on a metal halide canopy. I'm afraid it may melt the acrylic tank or will get too closed to the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Ben

How long is the tank?

The other question I have is whether a hanging pendant can be used on a metal halide canopy. I'm afraid it may melt the acrylic tank or will get too closed to the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I don't understant the question here....with pendants, you can hang them as high above the tank as you like. As for melting the tank...impossible, the acrylic will maintain the same temperature of the tank water, the MH don't put out near enough heat to change that...

MikeS

The tank is 5 feet long. I realize you can hang the pendant as high above the tank as one would like but I wanted to hang the pendant inside the halide canopy and that was my concern on how close is would be to the water or the top of the acrylic tank. How about 2-250 vs 2-400 HQI. Would having 2-250 be sufficient enough for a 155 (60x24x24)

Thanks,
Ben

my 150 is 26' deep i dont think i would be able to get away with that

but i think you will be good with that setup, except for the super light demandin g animal's

I have seen aquariums that go against what MikeS stated. I have seen acrylic aquariums warped from the heat of the Metal Halides. You can warp the acrylic if the lamps are too close. I would recommend you try to keep 250's at least a min of 6" away from the acrylic and us a fan to insure that the heat is dissapated. Heat is the biggest problem with metal halides, and to be honost, if you can keep them high enough off the water to get your hands in the tank for maintenance, you will severly cut down your chances of burning yourself on them!! (Been There.. Done That)

Just my two cents.

Back