Lime green flower pot coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dragoneggs

Here is my new addition... I was hesitant on getting this yellow/green goniopora as the last one i bought (lemon yellow) several years ago melted and didn't last long in captivity. I appreciate any tips on care of these long term. I have a red ORA goniorpora that is doing great.

Looks like it might be an Alveopora rather than a goni. I could be wrong. Either way, it's my understanding they like less than perfect water. I would try target feeding for sure. Also, is there a chance this one has been dyed? It looks awful green to be natural. Pretty cool piece either way!

Yeah it is greener than your typical yellow flowerpot coral but that is why I got it. I didn't get the white balance perfect so it may be showing more green than real. Lemon-lime? It is also under LED lighting... Hard to say what but i am guessing in the 12 to 14K range.

Here is another shot with a slight tweak to the white balance after shooting with AWB on camera. This time polyps much more extended and with whiter light on tank!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Definately a goniopora, alveopora has less fingers on each polyp, and they are thicker. I had one very similar, that reached over 10" fully expanded and was very beautiful. It had baby buds grow and fall off of it, and shortly after started to slowly recede and die. It survived for almost a year before it was finally completely dead, and the babies didn't last long at all.
In other words, I don't know a darn thing about keeping them long term, sorry and good luck!

Last edited:
Alve's have 12 fingers and goni's have 24. I couldn't tell from the pic for sure.

unfortuntately they do and these dont survive very long..

I don't believe Mark's coral is dyed, but this is when the rapport you build with the owner of a LFS should be a factor on whether you buy this type of coral or not IMO.

Back