Lime Stone Filter?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

acrylic_300

Cleaner Shrimp
I noticed under an old bridge recently these large lime stone rocks that had holes worn in them from the constant water dripping.

I was wondering what would happen if I put 2 inch limestone gravel in my wet/dry instead of bio-balls what would happen?

Im thinking that the constant drip will disolve some of the mineral and keep the ph more stable and at the same time provide some bio-filtration.

Any insite would be appreciated before I try this

I don't know much about limestone, but what I do know about lime is, that it screws up a lot of peoples tanks here in the Bahamas. I see a lot of people trying to remove lime from their tap water to use in their fishtanks, by using water treatments and then eventually having to clean everything off with vinegar after a few months. So, I'm not sure if it is a good idea, but you never know (LOL).

As for replacing bio-balls, what I have learned over the past few months is that no matter what you use in place of bio-balls, you'll get the same results as the conditions wouldn't have changed (highly oxygenated water dripping over whatever is being used..eg bio-balls, bio-bale etc). You will get the same conversion of ammonia to nitrite (in terms of bio-filtration), but no denitrification, if the rock isn't submerged. About keeping the ph stable, I'm not sure about what dissolved limstone does for that. I guess you'll need more feedback. Just a few thoughts I had which could be wrong (LOL).

If its in the water in the Bahamas then im guessing its a good thing. Ive seen some limestone that has shell fossils in it--if thats good. Missouri is 1000 miles from the nearest Ocean but the limestone here has Ocean fossils in it.

It's in the well water for sure. I don't know about saltwater, and if it is, to what degree. They say that the Bahamas is basically made up of limestone so it may be. I don't know what advantage you will get, by adding it to your sump though. Like I said, changing bio-balls to anything else will not increase biological efficiency as the conditions will still be the same. All you would be doing is changing what you are using in place of the bio-balls which could be less surface area than bio-balls. We all know how good using LR is and how it is capable of denitrification, but if you were to use it in the same conditions as the bio-balls are in a wet/dry, then it will work just the same as bio-balls without the denitrification capabilities. It would have to be submerged to serve you any purpose. Are you using substrate? If so, it should buffer your water for you to my understanding.

yea I have sand, the ph, alk, and calcium have been stable. Recently the ph, and alk are starting to lower a bit. I don't really want to add anything. In the past I put a limestone rock in my freshwater tank and it raised the levels. I had to take it out and do a water change. The levels were to high for freshwater but would have been good for salt. The limestone really fizzes when you put acid (vinegar) on it.

The limestone really fizzes when you put acid (vinegar) on it.

Yeah, the LFS's here uses it to clean the lime off of tanks etc. when it builds up. I was hoping someone else would have replied to this thread because it would be interesting to know what limestone would do if you add it to your system. I honestly have no idea and just gave my thoughts on the subject. I figured though if it were good, then others out there would be using it, but then again, you may have discovered something! (LOL). I'll keep checking back on this thread to see what the others come up with. Good luck. I hope you get it all sorted out.

Ive heard of people adding baking soda, it really fizzes also. Im not sure about pickling lime ive never dropped acid on it, Im guessing it fizzes though. I know people use the pickling lime for kalk sometimes.

I will just have to try it and read my levels and report back in a couple months. I'll have to get some better testing equiptment first. I only have test strips.

If no one thinks its pointless then ill try it.

I should also check trace elements like Copper, Iron, Stronium, Magnesium, Phosphates--In a seperate container with distilled water and limestone before I try it.

Limestone is more stable in salt water than aragonite sand.

The reason the limestone was disolving under the bridge was because:

1) freshwater contains very little (relatively) disloved calcium normally - definitely way below saturation, and

2) the dripping water probably has some disolved carbon dioxide (making it slightly acidic) which helped disolve the limestone.

Since our tank water is not acidic (pH is generally close to 8.2) and already contains a lot of disolved calcium, there would probably be very little additional calcium disolving from the limestone.

However - natural limestones can contain a wide variety of material that may be considered undesirable in our tanks. disolved metals, silicates, etc. So, some limestones may not be totally harmless.

Limestone is more stable in salt water than aragonite sand.

The reason the limestone was disolving under the bridge was because:

1) freshwater contains very little (relatively) disloved calcium normally - definitely way below saturation, and

2) the dripping water probably has some disolved carbon dioxide (making it slightly acidic) which helped disolve the limestone.

Since our tank water is not acidic (pH is generally close to 8.2) and already contains a lot of disolved calcium, there would probably be very little additional calcium disolving from the limestone.

However - natural limestones can contain a wide variety of material that may be considered undesirable in our tanks. disolved metals, silicates, etc. So, some limestones may not be totally harmless.

Very informative Don...You know it doesn't count when you copy an article from somewhere to boost your post count!(LOL) You're getting there though :lol:

Not sure if this means anything, But hear the government is using Lime in Lake Ontario along the shores where factories have been. It is used to help heal the damaged water due to polution. Not sure how this works but apperiently the lake in those areas are a bit cleaner.

Missouri limestone is here from when we were underwater and before things got real cold and glaciers did some imaginative carving of our landscape. Missouri should be called the cave state as opposed to the "Show-Me" state. The easy dissolving of limestone of it is why we have more caves than any other state. (Google Karst Topography). Anytime you add an acidic fluid to it, it's going to dissolve so it makes complete sense that bubbling would be observed. As a result, I don't think that dnjan should be teased as his post was completely accurate.

Look carefully at the color of the limestone you want to add to your tank. It is highly reactive and easily adsorbs a lot of things. If it is white, you are going to be dealing with fairly pure limestone (no limestone is completely pure). You can drive around this state and see limestone that is white, light grey, dark grey, bluish-grey, black, yellow, orange, bright orange, and darn-near red. All of the hues other than white are a result of bound contaminates. Some of them might be quite fine and some might not be a good addition to your tank at all. I know where Moberly is and I suspect it might be high in Iron, but that is pure speculation.

So the result of different hues may be caused by the limestone filtering various things from the water. Sounds very Porous

Last edited:
Pure limestone is actually quite dense. However, it easily dissolves and holes, cracks, and fissures appear.

It's not really a result of filtration. The hues are a result of chemical binding. What happens to the things that was previously bound to limestone when the limestone is dissolved? It has to go somewhere doesn't it? Where does it go?

(Hint: I won't use Missouri Limestone in my tank unless you hold a gun to my head)

I use to drive heavy machinery at rock qauries around IA and MO. The stuff I would use is the stuff rich people put in their drive ways. I think its called 2" Clean. A Very white soft rock that wont cut your tires (I use to use it to write on the sidewalk when I was a kid).

I think the good stuff comes from 50 to 100 feet down. They sell different grades--some has iron pyrite in it (fools gold). I will look for some real pure stuff if I do this.

krish75 said:
Very informative Don...You know it doesn't count when you copy an article from somewhere to boost your post count!(LOL) You're getting there though :lol:
I will take it as a compliment that you think what I said came from a book!

By the way, if we are talking about boosting post counts, I don't think you should count any of those water-fountain posts. I would be ahead of you then!

Back