lionfish in the Caribbean

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dnjan

alveopora
There was a story on NPR recently about Pacific Lionfish in the Caribbean. Has anyone (Krish) run into these??? The story blamed the acquarium hobby.

Yea Don. I started a thread years ago (2006) when I caught one. It must have been the first sight of one because it was handed to the department of fisheries here and the sent it to North Carolina (I think) to see if it was from there. Apparently someone dumped some in the water up there and they made their way down to the caribbean.They are everywhere now and the government has set up numerous contests to see who can catch the most lionfish in an effort to rid the waters of them as they are eating a lot of the stuff that fishermen rely on as a means of income. They have even brought in specialty chefs to teach Bahamians how to clean and cook them. They are supposed to taste really good. Here is the thread where I caught one. :)

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f14/omg-look-lion-i-caught-15326/

Last edited:
they are all over the East Coast, all the way to Jersey,They were said to have gotten loose during hurricane Andrew, and with no natural predators rapidly multiplied. They are causing quite an ecological mess

I've read stories about fishing derby's just for lion fish.

Lionfish Derby and Rodeo

Yea, that's basically what they do here. I've seen them as small as the size of a quarter. The eat a lot of the fish fry that never make it to adult hood like snappers etc which isn't good for fishermen. Of all the fish they decide to toss in the water they choose a lionfish. Why couldn't it be a clownfish or something cool like that LOL!

I just read something about a preditor for the lionfish.
I think it said that there is a species of grouper that seems to like them, but the size of the grouper needed, was a prime catch for a fisherman.
I can't remember exactly where I read this, but I think the article memtioned that in areas where there were higher numbers of these larger groupers, the lionfish population was way down.
Hopefully someone can find the story.........

So Krish - any comments on how lionfish taste? The NPR report claimed they were fairly mild, and adapted well to a variety of dishes.
(It is your duty to eat them, of course!)

Haha!! Never tried them. I heard they were an afrodesiac though like conch so all you old guys that need a little "pep in your step" go get some :lol:

Back